Honeycomb table

CNC/Laser Related Items Only Please

Honeycomb table

Postby pmwasson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Does anybody have a source for a honeycomb table for laser cutting? I find it quite useful for cutting acrylic, but can't seem to find any vendors.
pmwasson

Re: Honeycomb table

Postby bdring » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:17 pm

I buy a lot at my day job from....

http://www.texasalmet.com/

It is quite expensive and you need to buy a lot. We use it for EMI/RFI shielding and airflow straightening.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby hoda0013 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:25 pm

This is another supplier that I've used before for some composites projects. Not sure about minimum order quantities because I was working with donated materials.

http://www.hexcel.com/Products/Core+Materials/
hoda0013

Postby Mike-f » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Got mine from a company the make carbon composite componets for F1 cars, they had a few offcuts, worth a try if you can find a local company in this line of work.

Mike
Mike-f

Postby buildsomething » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:03 pm

I got my honeycomb material from a place located in NY state called HoneyCombCore

I actually drove down to their location from Toronto, Ont...about 3 hours and picked up the material directly....its a nice drive through the country side.

Here is there web site: http://www.honeycommcore.com/

These guys actually have 2 locations last time I checked:
1 in NY state and the other in NC

HoneyCommCore, LLC
7167 Rte #353 Suite #2
Cattaraugus, NY 14719

HoneyCommCore, LLC
101 Creasman Hill Road
Mills River, NC 28759

If the guy is still there, speak to a guy by the name of Morgan Haynes. If you are a bit of a Civil War buff..... ;)

Aluminum honeycomb material is not cheap, but have a chat with these people, explain what you are doing...ie...hobby stuff, they just might have some offcuts at a reasonable price. I purchased 2 pieces of honeycomb 15" x 24" x 1" x 3/8" for my laser.
Getting across the border back to Canada was interesting..... Next time I'm not going to say I'm using it for a laser..... :oops:

Richard
buildsomething

Postby lasersafe1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:28 am

If you can't get the honeycomb, you can always use a piece of condensor coil from an outdoor air-conditioner compressor/condensor unit. You can usually get them (used) for free or scrap price from an HVAC guy. Many HVAC condenser coils look like the fins are all bent up, but this is usually only the outer coil. If you unfold the coil you will usually find a nice 30 by 30" section that has nice straight fins in the interior side. These fin assemblies are about 1" thick. They serve the exact same function as the honeycomb (and) you are doing the green recycling thing if you care about things like that.
lasersafe1

Postby austint » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:33 am

How big of a piece do you need?
austint

Postby pmwasson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:04 pm

I guess McMaster sells honeycomb!
http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-honeycomb/=9h5bq0

I was looking for a 12"x12" sheet, which is around $25.
pmwasson

Postby Tweakie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:12 am

Don't know if this is any help but as I am related to Mr Scrooge I made my own cutting bed from leftover metal venetian blind slats.

Tweakie.

Tweakie

Return to For Sale and Wanted