Wanted: Quote for Cutting DXF Drawing

CNC/Laser Related Items Only Please

Wanted: Quote for Cutting DXF Drawing

Postby evokanivo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:14 am

Hey all,

I made a few changes to the v1 laser design, so I can't buy the standard parts. It looks like Bart is busy with 2x stuff and can't cut it either. I'm wondering if anyone else has a working a laser and would be willing to cut 6mm acrylic from the following DXF?

Units are in millimeters, just FYI since I'm not sure whether DXF specifies units.

It is attached in a ZIP, or you can DL it here:
http://www.filedropper.com/xyacryliccut

Thanks
Attachments
x_y_acrylic_cut.zip
(338.4 KiB) Downloaded 1014 times
evokanivo

Re: Wanted: Quote for Cutting DXF Drawing

Postby naPS » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:53 am

I can cut it on my mill / router. However, the file imported in inches, and the piece came out in the 70 foot long range. I think there's a units error in there somewhere. DXF definitely references units and size, at least the ones I've dealt with.
naPS

Postby evokanivo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:45 am

This can't really be cut on a router, since edges for different pieces are packed. Thanks though. A laser is narrow enough that this isn't a problem.

I exported to a newer DXF version (2010, attached) this time. Perhaps that will help with the units. My units for the SolidWorks design are definitely set to millimeters, thought that doesn't mean it's properly exporting to DXF. When I import a DXF files into SolidWorks, I have have to select the units.
Attachments
x_y_acrylic_cut_R2010.zip
(337.63 KiB) Downloaded 978 times
evokanivo

Postby naPS » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:03 am

It can definitely be cut on a router. I can separate the cuts no problemo. I'll check the new verison.
naPS

Postby cpdude » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:31 am

PM sent. The first file is readable but a seems a bit dirty when I open it in Rhino. No lines show up when I open the second file.

Brian
2.x laser ( Mach3 | SmoothStepper | FSE RetinaEngrave)| DIY CNC Router (EMC2) | Prusa I3 3d printer | Building a Wolfstock deta printer | Rhino v5
cpdude

Postby naPS » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:37 am

Yeah, gives me a fatal error on the couple of different programs I tried to use to open the second file.
naPS

Postby twehr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:31 pm

I opened your first zip file in CorelDraw just fine - parts grouping is 24.xxx" wide.

If somebody wants me to save it or reexport it from Corel, let me know.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby evokanivo » Mon May 02, 2011 1:18 am

Update - I'm still trying to figure a way to export each Solidworks sketch to a different DXF layer. I posted something in the Solidworks forums so hopefully I hear back soon. I learned how to remove all the extra lines and points being shown, which was another issue.

Thanks twehr for the offer, but this is something I will need to do frequently once my own laser is operational, so I should find a way using the tools I have.
evokanivo

Postby evokanivo » Tue May 03, 2011 3:15 am

Solidworks forum members replied saying you can't save a multi-layer DXF from Solidworks. They recommended that I download Draftsight (free) and modify the DXF there, which was easy. Perhaps this will help someone else with the same issue. The new DXF is attached - perimeter lines are on one layer and holes are on another.
Attachments
x_y_acrylic_cut_2_layers_draftsight.zip
(14.74 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
evokanivo

Return to For Sale and Wanted