Timing Belts, pulleys, gears

Where you can find stuff.

Re: Timing Belts, pulleys, gears

Postby robotdigg » Tue May 14, 2013 6:48 am

Masters, I recommend GT2 pulley and belt from China
buildsomething wrote:This place is fantastic for all kinds of timing belts, pulleys...etc etc etc. I am using their timing belts for my laser. Tremendous variety and a good source of technical information as well.

http://www.sdp-si.com/

Richard
robotdigg

Postby jonquinn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:07 am

Econobelt is no longer supplying and belts, as of a week ago.
The only size I cannot find is the MXL in the 64" loop. I'm not seeing this size on the SDP/SI website, ebay, or amazon, so if someone can post a source I would appreciate it.
jonquinn

Postby jonquinn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:24 am

So if the 64" MXL loop timing belt is no longer available, is there any reason not to use an XL or GT2 timing belt with appropiately sized pulleys?
Thanks
jonquinn

Postby twehr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:11 pm

SDP-SI does have both 55 and 73 inch belts, being 9 inches shorter or longer respectively. One option would be to use one of these and change the spacing on your four lift screws. That would mean moving each screw IN or OUT (towards x center or away from x center) by 2.25". Yes, that changes the weight baring distribution but the kinds of materials used on the laser are light enough that it won't matter.

Did not look, but econobelt may also have belts that are close enough to move your lift screws and make it perfectly useable.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby jonquinn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, as it was very helpful. Unfortunately Econobelt says it dropped manufacture of belt about two weeks ago, and their website no longer lists any belts, just gears and pulleys. But I guess I could call and see if any remain in inventory.
If not I can figure a way with a different length belt as you suggested.
jonquinn

Postby jonquinn » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:58 am

Looks like I should have a source for the 64" loop MXL belt, D&D Power Drive. However they are out of stock for at least two months, but they will notify me once they come back in. They do weld up custom lengths and slit belts to width. Also there is a minimum quanitity of 7 for a non stock size, but at $3.49 a belt I can deal with that.
jonquinn

Previous

Return to Sources for stuff