Cermark, Thermark, and DIY marking solutions

Show pictures of stuff you made

Re: Cermark, Thermark, and DIY marking solutions

Postby lasersafe1 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:00 pm

I would agree that power was too high. The intent was heating of the paint, not vaporizing it. I know that pottery glazes have been attempted by others. I recall reading about it on another forum. I think it was sawmill creek forum. I knew an artist potter in my youth that had hundreds of glazes. The most surprising one to me was a drawer that was full of raw Uranium Oxide powder. There must have been 2 or three pounds of the stuff.
lasersafe1

Postby twehr » Wed May 04, 2011 1:18 pm

I had my power down to 16% (the lowest I can go) with 400 mm/sec. I can try running a bit faster, but until I find a way to remove the un-"baked" portion of the paint, it will not be of any use. It is also going to be important to get the thickness of the paint consistent. Otherwise, the power will be too strong in some places and not strong enough in others. After I get an airbrush, I will try again.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby lasersafe1 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Perhaps our CO2's will always be too strong. Perhaps someone with a 1 W 808 should give it a try. This is uncharted territory. Also, Harbor Freight will have the cheapest airbrush in town.
lasersafe1

Postby twehr » Wed May 04, 2011 1:28 pm

lasersafe1 wrote:Perhaps our CO2's will always be too strong. Perhaps someone with a 1 W 808 should give it a try. This is uncharted territory. Also, Harbor Freight will have the cheapest airbrush in town.

I go to HF whenever I can - it is about 30 miles away and I don't go that direction very often. Thanks for the tip!
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Previous

Return to Gallery