4 Axis Driver Board

Discussion Related to Blog Posts (suggestions welcome)

Re: 4 Axis Driver Board

Postby Improbable Construct » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:26 am

Ok, wow. Um... I can solder, but I have never tried to surface mount any components. Looking around, it looks doable, I have a toaster oven, is there any chance of getting one with the SMT components done? If not I will give it a go... Thanks Brandon

Edit: It looks like the SMT is only on the stepper drivers. I can totally do some through hole soldering. A kit would be great!
Improbable Construct

Postby soehler » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Bart

Just sent you e-mail about this board.

Sergio
soehler

Postby Improbable Construct » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:07 am

Bart

I sent an email your way.
Thanks for all of your hard work!

Brandon
Improbable Construct

Postby redcuda69 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Should I switch the 74HC7014 to 74HC14 while using with the LO DSP? I have them both powered up, and idle, but the stepper motors sound like a horse walking slowly. I was wondering if this would be the fix.
redcuda69

Postby twehr » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:18 pm

redcuda69 wrote:Should I switch the 74HC7014 to 74HC14 while using with the LO DSP? I have them both powered up, and idle, but the stepper motors sound like a horse walking slowly. I was wondering if this would be the fix.

Don't think it will change the sound. You only need to switch if your are having the skewing problem.

As for the sound. What step rate are you using. As I recall, only the 1/8 step is reliable with the DSP.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby redcuda69 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks Tim,

I set the driver to 1/8th step. (Actually, I tried all of them) and the sound still existed. I figured it out though. I had to adjust the pot on the Pololu driver boards as they were set a little high, causing the motors to want to step.

Rob
redcuda69

Postby twehr » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:52 pm

redcuda69 wrote:Thanks Tim,

I set the driver to 1/8th step. (Actually, I tried all of them) and the sound still existed. I figured it out though. I had to adjust the pot on the Pololu driver boards as they were set a little high, causing the motors to want to step.

Rob

Yep! Keeping them down to about 1.4a or less seems to be best. Those drives won't handle much more anyway. Glad you got it going!
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby Maberib » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi Tim,

I think you've done exactly what I'm aiming to do. I have a DC-KIII laser (of Moshidraw (in)fame). I'm looking to upgrade to the DSP.

Unfortunately, I did something a bit boneheaded. I ordered the DSP and two big motor drivers without first figuring out the current draw of my stepper motors. The drivers have minimum output of 1 amp each, but my X stepper only uses 0.4 A. My Y-axis motor takes 1.5 A. The problem is documented here: http://www.lightobject.info/viewtopic.p ... 4315#p4315 .

I'm left with two options. Replace the X-axis stepper, or buy a different stepper controller. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you've done both.

Buying this board seems like a good option, since I'd love to have the extra axese and rotary control. I ask then:

Regarding the controller, to both you and Bart, is the 1.5 A I need for my Y too taxing for this board? Where did your roof of 1.4 amps come from?

Regarding the motor, what would be a good replacement for the X-axis motor?
Maberib

Postby bdring » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:39 pm

I run mine at about 1.6 Amp. That is what my motors are rated at.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/g ... =B10-10003

You can run a little higher, but evenually you will start to hear that tell-tale ticking noise that says the drivers are at thermal limit.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Maberib » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks, Bart. You have mail!
Maberib

PreviousNext

Return to Blog Posts