Laser Cut Solder Stencil

Discussion Related to Blog Posts (suggestions welcome)

Laser Cut Solder Stencil

Postby bdring » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:28 am

I successfully cut (engraved actually) a solder stencil in mylar on my 2.x laser cutter. The whole project took less than a half hour, which was not bad for my first time. It matched perfectly to the PCB. Some of the pads were less than 0.5mm square. I tried a bunch of different power levels and they all were probably acceptable, but the best seemed to be high power that quickly vaporized the mylar without melting close by material.

http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2011/09/di ... diy-laser/

stencil.PNG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Laser Cut Solder Stencil

Postby lasersafe1 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:22 pm

I did reflow for a while. I love my TechFX reflow controller for my toaster oven, but they seem to have disappeared from the web. 63/37 solder was a piece of cake, but when I started experimenting with lead-free, I found there was a hairy edge between solder melting and board epoxy melting. I found out I needed to order "high TC" boards that are good to 170C. This was a couple years back and now I just pay a girl to solder for me. Has anything changed in the last couple years that makes lead-free easier? (lower melting point)?
lasersafe1

Re: Laser Cut Solder Stencil

Postby bdring » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Most boards are the higher TC now and the finishes, fluxes, etc mean things solder a bit easier. I have even noticed hand soldering lead free is easier than it was a few years back. Maybe I just unknowingly learned a few tricks.

I typically use lead free HASL (hot air surface leveling) or silver plating. I think HASL is easier to solder. I use immersion gold at work, but we do much different type work (day job) like BGAs there.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to Blog Posts