CNC Via VNC?

Discussion Related to Blog Posts (suggestions welcome)

CNC Via VNC?

Postby bdring » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:12 pm

I needed a zero cost way to reduce the amount of computer hardware to bring to an event. Running Mach3 via VNC, is not perfect, but will do the job.

http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2011/10/mach3-via-vnc/
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: CNC Via VNC?

Postby tylerv » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:39 am

This is what I'm planning on doing (with better wiring when I get it done). It messes with the laser power supply shelf, so I'll have to figure out somewhere else to put that.

2011-07-06 22.59.17.jpg
tylerv

Postby naPS » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:49 am

I do this in my house, as my laser is in my garage and my main machine is in my office. I use UltraVNC as well, and I've also hooked a webcam up that looks at my bed so I can kinda-sorta tell where the job is at and if something has gone horribly wrong.
naPS

Postby BenJackson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:12 am

Not sure what motherboard form factor that is, but Mini ITX (about $100 w/CPU) is 17x17cm and would fit flat on the electronics tray.

I figured Bart was up to his ears in free controllers from various vendors. Guess life as an open source HW designer is not as glamorous as I thought! ;-)
BenJackson

Network USB Hub

Postby bdring » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:48 pm

I was wondering how those network USB hubs would work for the DSP controllers. Does anyone have any experience with them? The reviews online are mixed.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby TLHarrell » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Full Spectrum Engineering was recommending one on their forums:

We have purchased and tested this USB to WiFi/Ethernet adapter from Amazon and it works well:

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Wireless-S ... 167&sr=8-3

IOGEAR Wireless 4-Port USB Sharing Station GUWIP204 (Black)

This device converts USB to Ethernet. This has multiple advantages:
1) You can use much longer wiring or even control the laser from a different room
2) Some users have experience USB disconnects. We attributed many of these problems to flakey USB chipsets on the end user's computer. When they used a newer computer the problem went away. Using this device you should not have any USB disconnects because RetinaEngrave USB will operate over Ethernet and the USB port is not plugged into the computer. The USB connection is only between the GUWIP204 and RetinaEngrave which we have already qualified.
3) You don't need to plug and unplug your computer from the laser itself minimizing the likelyhood of the USB port wearing out.
4) Ethernet is a much more reliable connection over distance/noise.

We strongly recommend you use the wired Ethernet connection instead of the WiFi connection. You can plug an Ethernet cable directly from the USB port on the GUWIP204 to your computer (no router needed). In theory you can operate this over WiFi but wifi is also prone to errors so do so at your own risk.

The recommended configuration is:
RetinaEngrave USB -> plug USB into GUWIP204 -> plug one end of ethernet cable into GUWIP204 and one end into your computer's ethernet jack

Install the RetinaEngrave including USB drivers as normal. In addition install the GUWIP204 software.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Return to Blog Posts