"New kit" BOM with sources

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

"New kit" BOM with sources

Postby SpacedCowboy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:03 pm

(This is moved from the http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1328 thread to prevent hijacking. There'll probably be a fair few updates to this as I go along...)

To recap:

So, I don't know if this is of any use to anyone, but since Bart is changing things up a bit, I thought I'd try and figure out what was still needed, and what was now to be sourced externally...

All I did was go to the BOM page (http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/bom.html), empty the selection criteria, and start to look at the shopping list. Then I started to look at what the costs would be now that we don't get to mooch off of Bart and get just what we need. The results are at http://0x0000ff.com/laser/ - you can see what's in the new kit from Bart, what we have sources for (with links), and what I haven't yet (I haven't tried too hard) found any source for.

There's also a few things in there that I think are in addition to the original BOM (all marked with the part prefix SJG_), and a couple that can be deprecated (buy the lightObject mirror bundle and you presumably don't need individual mirrors/mounts...) There's also a running cost at the bottom, assuming you're like me and starting from scratch

If anyone has sources that I've marked as missing, I'd much appreciate a link, and I'll keep the list up-to-date. Similarly, if there's something missing, or I've screwed something up with the power of my pure blinding ignorance, I'd appreciate a pointer in the right direction I'm going to have to find all of these somehow anyway, and it'll presumably come in useful for others in future, if I can keep it current.

There's also now a http://0x0000ff.com/laser/changelog.html Changelog and the document is versioned (with appropriate credits to those who help out - hint hint :) ) If you have part numbers from the packages that Bart already sent you, I'd love to see them...

Cheers
Simon
SpacedCowboy

Re: "New kit" BOM with sources

Postby evokanivo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks for doing this. I like how everything is linked to the part's webpage, instead of just the root url. It really speeds up placing orders.
evokanivo

Postby lovebugjunkie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Want to add my thanks also, been playing with different size settings and this makes it very easy.
lovebugjunkie

A few questions regarding missing parts

Postby SpacedCowboy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:22 am

Hi all. So I was trying to fill in some of the gaps, and I have a few questions for anyone who has already built one of these :) ...

• B17023 - the double-bearing idler wheel. This is presumably different from B30041 (Smooth idler pulley assembly), even though B30041 has a double-bearing idler wheel. Is that true ? Or could we just add another B30041 and forget about B17023...
  • B18001-001 - eccentric spacer. Does anyone have more details on this ? Size, how big the hole is, etc.
  • B18012-115 - it's listed as 'DIN Rail 115mm Lf.', but what does that mean ? Looking on Digikey there appear to be lots of size (http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/hardware-fasteners-accessories/channel-din-rail/2097970?k=din%20rail) of DIN rail. Presumably 115mm is the length. What does "Lf" mean ?
  • B18028 - Shaft Coupler 5mm x 6.35mm. 6.35mm is a quarter of an inch, but I can't find anything on McMaster Carr that does metric->imperial... Any hints ?
  • B28009 - Microswitch, Roller Type. Anyone got any dimensions ? Is it normally-on or normally-off ?
  • B28012 - Power-entry module. Is this just the panel-mount plug socket for wiring up the power supply ? Do we have the panel-mount dimensions ?

I'm sure there'll be more, but that's all for the time being. Hope y'all can help :)

Simon
SpacedCowboy

Postby greenvandan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Not sure about the other stuff, but there is a drawing for the eccentric spacer in the 2.x laser drawings.

Thanks for putting this stuff all together.
greenvandan

Postby SpacedCowboy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Cheers - I actually found it at inventables, once I could check the PDF drawing vs their dimensions etc.

I've also added a line item for the stepper-driver controller. Since it seems that Barts one (http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2011/04/laser-interfacedriver-pcb/) isn't on his store any more, I've gone with the one from LightObject. This also has the inputs for E-STOP and limit switches so we can make sure it's wired up safely (E_STOP == FALSE && cover-open == FALSE && water-flow == TRUE => laser-can-fire)

There's water-flow sensors at LightObject, and I'll add one as soon as I know what diameter tubing the 40W laser tubes use for water cooling... Anyone ?

I went for a water-pump that I know to be very reliable (a MagDrive pump) from my time as a reef-tank owner. It's slightly more expensive than a comparable one, but I think that's worth it for the knowledge that the pump is excellent.

Simon.
SpacedCowboy

Re: A few questions regarding missing parts

Postby mattrsch » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:14 pm

SpacedCowboy wrote:Hi all. So I was trying to fill in some of the gaps, and I have a few questions for anyone who has already built one of these :) ...

• B17023 - the double-bearing idler wheel. This is presumably different from B30041 (Smooth idler pulley assembly), even though B30041 has a double-bearing idler wheel. Is that true ? Or could we just add another B30041 and forget about B17023...

They are the same

SpacedCowboy wrote:
  • B18001-001 - eccentric spacer. Does anyone have more details on this ? Size, how big the hole is, etc.

Sounds like you are all straightened out on this. They are also in the makerslide store.

SpacedCowboy wrote:

The terminal blocks I linked are compatible to a variety of DIN rail styles. This is the style Bart included in my kit: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/TS3575SL/ADR3575-S0800-ND/382576
It is also probably the most common, so it will be easy to find accessories for if you want to add relays, etc.

SpacedCowboy wrote:
  • B18028 - Shaft Coupler 5mm x 6.35mm. 6.35mm is a quarter of an inch, but I can't find anything on McMaster Carr that does metric->imperial... Any hints ?

I'm not sure where Bart managed to find this :(
If you can find a double shafted stepper with imperial shafts you can sidestep the issue.

SpacedCowboy wrote:
  • B28009 - Microswitch, Roller Type. Anyone got any dimensions ? Is it normally-on or normally-off ?

Most of these have both NO and NC contacts. I believe the DSP expects NO contacts.
I don't know if this is the same switch, but it is very similar to this one: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SMS-219/SPDT-MINI-SNAP-ACTION-SWITCH-W/ROLLER-LEVER/1.html

SpacedCowboy wrote:
  • B28012 - Power-entry module. Is this just the panel-mount plug socket for wiring up the power supply ? Do we have the panel-mount dimensions ?

It is just one of those D shaped plug sockets you see everywhere. Mine also has a rocker switch built in. The panel cutout dimensions should be on a datasheet available from wherever you source yours.

SpacedCowboy wrote:
I'm sure there'll be more, but that's all for the time being. Hope y'all can help :)

Simon

Happy building!
mattrsch

Postby Enraged » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:18 pm

for couplers, search ebay. you can get pretty much any combination of sizes, imperial and metric. I suggest using the clamp style couplers, because set screws a horrible. A clamp style won't marr the shaft and should remain concentric (a major flaw with the ORDbot couplers).
Enraged

Postby naPS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:27 pm

cncdumpster also has a variety of sizes. I've been really happy with the ones I purchased from there. I purchased a few off of e-bay, the split aluminum ones, and found that they flexed A LOT.
naPS

Postby SpacedCowboy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Ok, so here's todays update, courtesy of (and many thanks to) mattrsch, enraged and naPS.

I deprecated B17023 (double bearing idler wheel) for another B30041 (smooth idler pulley assembly), since the wheels are the same. I don't see how else we could get the wheels...

I added some DIN rail (B18012-115) from Mouser which matches the dimensions (W,H) that Bart used. I couldn't find anything that was 6" long, so I went for Aluminium rail which is (at least for me) far easier to cut to length. If an 8" (rather than 6") length is ok, and someone who has the laser built could let me know, I'll change it for a pre-cut steel 8" length. We could save ~$4 here, guys! [grin]

I found some microswitches on digikey that matched the all-electronics ones that mattrsch pointed to above - I'm not a great fan of all-electronics, I've been kept waiting for weeks for delivery, so I prefer digikey/mouser if possible.

Finally, I added a 24v, 12.5A PSU from MPJA for the stepper-drivers. Anyone know if this is overkill ? It seems like overkill. The manual (http://www.lightobject.info/download/file.php?id=91) for the driver board says that it needs at least a 10A PSU though, and really wants 15A. Do the steppers really draw that much power ? In any event, we'll only be using 3 of them at once (X,Y,Z or X,Y,R) rather than 4, so I feel comfortable not using a 15A PSU. Still seems like a large PSU...

Regarding the panels and things that Bart used to cut out. I'm guessing the only real option is to get a CNC machine up and running, or to order from somewhere like ponoko.

Simon.
SpacedCowboy

Next

Return to 2.x Laser Support