3d printed plastic components

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

3d printed plastic components

Postby settle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Hello,
I'm starting to get all the bits together to build a slightly enlarged 2.x. I was thinking about printing the plastic components out of ABS rather than milling them from HDPE. I can print the parts solid on a Dimension machine rather than a reprap, as their volume is quite low, so they should be quite strong and accurate. Has anyone use printed parts already?
Thanks
Chris
settle
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am

Re: 3d printed plastic components

Postby bdring » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Other people have used printed parts successfully. You might want to run a few tests for the bearing fit. HDPE is smoother and softer than printed ABS.

I have extra sheet metal parts. I only sell them with my plastics parts kits or to people who have made their own plastic parts.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2966
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: 3d printed plastic components

Postby settle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Bart
I printed out one part to test, if I push really hard I can get it to flex, I had though HDPE would be super hard, so it's good to know it actually softer. I'll order some bearings to test it out for fit.

Yes I bought the metal parts from you the other day! I didn't think you were still selling the plastic kits anymore otherwise I would of just bought the whole set!
Although I guess in some ways it's nice to print the parts myself, just concerned about the quality and strength!
Thanks

DSC_0359.JPG
settle
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am

Re: 3d printed plastic components

Postby kenho » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:25 pm

I've had good luck so far with printed parts on the 2x design.

I have built three cncs to date but never a laser, so being my first, I'm taking my time and using printed parts whenever possible as they cost me next to nothing. If they end up having some flex, just as easy to swap out with milled parts.

I couldn't agree more with Bart's comment about testing on the bearing. I wasted a lot of time printing beause I follishly didn't test the first one. None of the bearing related parts held them properly.

My printer works with PLA, which I've found to be a solid amterial for this application. In some cases, I've even re-designed parts to avoid hardware, like the z-table lift.
Attachments
photo.JPG
kenho
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: 3d printed plastic components

Postby kbob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:47 pm

kenho wrote:I've had good luck so far with printed parts on the 2x design.

I have built three cncs to date but never a laser, so being my first, I'm taking my time and using printed parts whenever possible as they cost me next to nothing. If they end up having some flex, just as easy to swap out with milled parts.

I couldn't agree more with Bart's comment about testing on the bearing. I wasted a lot of time printing beause I follishly didn't test the first one. None of the bearing related parts held them properly.

My printer works with PLA, which I've found to be a solid amterial for this application. In some cases, I've even re-designed parts to avoid hardware, like the z-table lift.


kenho, would you be interested in sharing your printable redesigns?

I am in the parts acquisition phase. My plan is to buy parts from Bart if he makes another run of kits, otherwise to print plastic components.
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:39 am
Location: Eugene, OR, US

Re: 3d printed plastic components

Postby kenho » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Kbob,

The part all the way on the right is 1/2 the redesigned z-table lift. It has a relief for a 1/4" nut and five holes - 2 for attached to the main frame, 2 for attaching to the table frame and one for the lead screw to go through and line up with the nut. Two of these [printed pieces are fitted around a 1/4" nut, making a complete z-table lift assembly.
Attachments
DSC_0342.JPG
kenho
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: 3d printed plastic components

Postby kenho » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:01 pm

The completed piece is located in the background here.

Files where originally in rhino but my trial expired on this one and before I got the new license, I swapped to sketchup with an STL exporter, which works fine for these simply geometries.
Attachments
DSC_0340.JPG
kenho
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: 3d printed plastic components

Postby JakeS » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Hi Ken-

Just wondering- did you make any printable tube brackets?

Thanks
Jake


kenho wrote:The completed piece is located in the background here.

Files where originally in rhino but my trial expired on this one and before I got the new license, I swapped to sketchup with an STL exporter, which works fine for these simply geometries.
JakeS
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: 3d printed plastic components

Postby kbob » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 pm

kenho wrote:Kbob,

The part all the way on the right is 1/2 the redesigned z-table lift. It has a relief for a 1/4" nut and five holes - 2 for attached to the main frame, 2 for attaching to the table frame and one for the lead screw to go through and line up with the nut. Two of these [printed pieces are fitted around a 1/4" nut, making a complete z-table lift assembly.


I missed that. I used a single piece and put screws through the two holes nearest the nut to hold the nut in place.
I am at this very moment printing some more Z table lift pieces to capture the nuts.
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:39 am
Location: Eugene, OR, US

Re: 3d printed plastic components

Postby zachjowi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:15 pm

care to share your files? I want to print the parts on my rep2
zachjowi
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Next

Return to 2.x Laser Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron