Sneak Peek at new Y drive

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Re: Sneak Peek at new Y drive

Postby BenJackson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:52 am

Bart,

Just got the new rods and couplers. I expected the "Y drive upgrade" was going to include new smooth Y idlers. Did you decide those weren't necessary or is that a separate line item?
BenJackson

Postby bdring » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:36 am

Sorry, that is a separate item. The smooth idlers have be part of the stock kit for a while. Send me an email. I'll get you the parts you need.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby BenJackson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:17 am

Notes on installing the Y drive kit:

I first verified my gantry was square to the front frame using the Del Monte Corn technique (I guess I could have gotten my 1-2-3 blocks too). I did this to make sure I could get back to the same square setup at the end.

You will probably want one post-install T-nut because reversing the Y motor mounting plate swaps a corner bracket (1 nut) with the Y mounting plate (2 nuts). If you don't have one you'll have to do more disassembly to be able to put another nut on the right side.

Pre-tighten the setscrews on the coupler until they're almost protruding into the bore. Mine took several turns and it's easier to do that in your hand.

Install the couplings on the motor first. The 5mm side is closer to tolerance and it was much easier to do the rod second (once everything is in place) than the motor.

(and don't forget to loop the belts back on!)

The left side (as you face the front) is only just long enough. Make sure you feel the end of the rod flush with the end of the bearing before you tighten down the coupler. You probably want to take the slack out of the 5mm (motor) side.

Remember your Y axis direction is now reversed, so you will need to reverse it in software or transpose the two motor phases at the stepper driver to make your Y go the original direction.

Result: It's a drastic improvement in my Y wobble. I engraved the 10cm ruler again and this one matches up exactly with a real ruler. The 0.5mm wobble that was periodic in the pulley diameter appears to be completely gone.

I can still see some wobble in my Y idlers but while I had it apart I removed the split lock washer from the worst one and put in a different (flat) washer that improved it quite a bit.
BenJackson

Postby bdring » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:33 pm

I just moved the vertical Y motor mounting extrusion sideways a little and did not reverse the mounting plate. It was all pretty easy and I did not have to remove any nuts. I just loosened them and slide it over to the right. The two different sized shafts allows me to use off the shelf parts. It would be a shame to cut such perfect shafts.

I have the new frame drawing showing the location of the extrusion, but I am trying to coordinate a bunch of changes at once that are due to MakerSlide.

I am building a second machine to test out all the new changes. I have the parts and will be assembling it soon. The biggest challenge with the 2.x laser and MakerSlide will be installing the gantry. The V rails go all the way to the ends now. The lower wheels will be more tricky to get started. I tried it in the open on my bench, but inside the frame and upside down will be trickier.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby BenJackson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:55 pm

bdring wrote:I just moved the vertical Y motor mounting extrusion sideways a little and did not reverse the mounting plate.

Not sure where I got that idea. It works okay, though.

bdring wrote:I am building a second machine to test out all the new changes. I have the parts and will be assembling it soon. The biggest challenge with the 2.x laser and MakerSlide will be installing the gantry. The V rails go all the way to the ends now. The lower wheels will be more tricky to get started. I tried it in the open on my bench, but inside the frame and upside down will be trickier.

The other problem with the full-length V-rails is where to install the corner brackets. I'm curious to see how you rearrange those to hold the Y extrusions.
BenJackson

Corner Brackets

Postby bdring » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm curious to see how you rearrange those to hold the Y extrusions.

The position of the V was chosen to allow room for a different type of bracket. Here is a shot of the frame showing (2) issues and how it is handled. For illustration the MakeSlide is shown in blue and the (2) new brackets types are shown in red. This is just the frame and you are seeing the rear right. The 20x20 in the foreground is the front tube support extrusion. The brackets are repeated all around as required. Several plastic bearing brackets have been modified to allow clearance for the V.

These are stock Misumi parts and will be included in upgrade kits.

Untitled Project 32.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby soehler » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Looks awesome

Sergio
soehler

Previous

Return to 2.x Laser Support