Camera Slider Idea

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

Camera Slider Idea

Postby theyangster » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:25 am

Below is part of the original message I sent to Barton on May 13th, 2011.
I'm really excited for this project...but not exactly on the same reasons that you and other DIY's in what looks to be an awesome community of CNC'ers. I'm actually really excited that this would be an awesome camera slider system (at least I hope so!) for DSLR's. If you're not exactly familiar with camera sliders there are a TON of products being offered and in the true spirit of frugal amateur filmmakers or people just getting into it (me!), trying to find a cheaper (sub $100)solution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHJvhtRbYEU&feature=related
As you can see, there are many similarities to CNC machines, similar attempts by many with drawer slides (I tried one recently, very limiting, imprecise, noisy, inconsistent, and the list goes on), skate wheels, even rain gutters!. Basically, a camera slider would just be one axis and your system seems very(!) adaptable to it. The community is already using igus linear motion slides for sliders, but I frankly believe that your system would be worlds better for it's flexibility and cheapness (it'd cost hundreds to get a igus linear to 3+ feet which I'm sure you're aware as well).
/End KS message

Below is my submission for materials and inspiration, I'm sure people can improve on it
I used Maya 2011 (I took an animation class in it so I'm more familiar with it than google sketchup or other programs)

Materials wanted/needed:
4-5 feet of maker slide
1 plate and 3 wheels
That's it!

I will provide my own tripods and ball head and of course camera! (canon t2i)

Basic instructions would be that attach an L plate each end of the makerslide and drill a threaded 1/4 " hole for compatibility with standard tripods and install some rubber stoppers on top so the camera doesn't just slide off!

If the weight load is too high *unlikely) I will flip everything 90 degrees!

Advanced Ideas that I have are installing a belt or pulley system to have an automatic system for time lapses
Great Example here
http://vimeo.com/22542330

Here are my renderings of them (a little crude, but hopefully you get the point)

Short animation (2 seconds of it working)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJbY716vI_I

Regards

Alex

Makerslide Idea1.jpg

Makerslide Idea2.jpg

Makerslide Idea3.jpg
Last edited by theyangster on Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
theyangster

Re: Camera Slider Idea

Postby naPS » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:04 am

this seems like a great use for the makerslide. Just curious - I noticed in the video that you posed they are moving large video cameras with their slides, I can understand that, as that type of motion is seen all the time in movies. What is the advantage of doing the same thing with a still camera? Would it just be time lapse stuff?

Cool project idea!
naPS

Postby theyangster » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:31 am

naPS wrote:this seems like a great use for the makerslide. Just curious - I noticed in the video that you posed they are moving large video cameras with their slides, I can understand that, as that type of motion is seen all the time in movies. What is the advantage of doing the same thing with a still camera? Would it just be time lapse stuff?

Cool project idea!

Hi NaPS,

Thanks! Haha, I forgot to mention that the Canon t2i I have along with other canon and nikon cameras now have video capability with them. These systems are so light compared to the heavy duty cameras and once you factor in interchangeable lenses, the possibilities are almost endless. So this would apply to both, both time lapses and pan shots (for pan shots, I imagine just putting a small incline to the makerslide and let gravity do the work :) ). Yeah, if one could do 10 feet of makerslide, that'd be super awesome, but transporting would be a slight pain. I thought that maybe I could piece together slides, but it would have to be a seamless join, otherwise, the slightest imperfection would be reflected while the camera is moving along. Hope that helps answer your question :)
theyangster

Postby bdring » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:53 am

That looks great, I have been waiting for your submission. I can definitely supply the material. You will be surprised how quite the bearing is. Assuming it is about the same as the Delrin wheels on steel, it is quietest bearing I have ever used. Aluminum tends to dampen noise better than steel too.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby theyangster » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:12 pm

bdring wrote:That looks great, I have been waiting for your submission. I can definitely supply the material. You will be surprised how quite the bearing is. Assuming it is about the same as the Delrin wheels on steel, it is quietest bearing I have ever used. Aluminum tends to dampen noise better than steel too.

Phew, glad you liked the Idea, it really is awesome that you have this program. That's great hearing that it's quiet, usually pan shots with the igus and other homemade solutions are a noisy affair, so pan shots are usually only accompanied by music or just cut scenes, no actually conversations because it's too noisy. But your opinion is that in the horizontal position it can easily handle 5-15 pounds of weight (probably more toward the 5-10 pound range), or would the extrusion 'bow' under the weight? (a little bowing would be okay, doesn't need to be perfect.)

Additionally, do I just send you a PM of my address and we'll work things out from there (I don't mind chipping in some for shipping etc)? I still plan to support your kickstarter, I might even up my pledge to the $32 level (I like the idea of the special laser engraved piece) or even the $64 level (just curious,is it just makerslide and no plate and wheels? or are you going to be doing the credit thing at the $64 level too?)

Thanks for accepting my makerslide idea! You might find that you'll have a ton of indie filmmakers or amateur photographers clamoring for this! I hope you'll have enough for everyone :D. Actually on that subject, just curious, how much would a system like mine cost in general material cost?
theyangster

Postby bdring » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:38 pm

The MakerShip supplies the material, you must pay for shipping, which would be about $15. I would not expect much deflection at 15 pounds. You may find that whole system works better with the rail turned 90 degree. I think it will work as you have drawn it but it will be much stiffer and probably quieter if you turn it.

If you are just interested in material per dollar, just wait until the material is in production. Part of everyones sponsorship covers one time costs. The material will be cheaper after that. Since you are already a sponsor at some level you are in line to get material early.

I think the end user material cost of a 4-5 foot system with the extra do-dads you will need will cost $25 -$30, cut to length and ready to go.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby theyangster » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:59 pm

bdring wrote:The MakerShip supplies the material, you must pay for shipping, which would be about $15. I would not expect much deflection at 15 pounds. You may find that whole system works better with the rail turned 90 degree. I think it will work as you have drawn it but it will be much stiffer and probably quieter if you turn it.

If you are just interested in material per dollar, just wait until the material is in production. Part of everyones sponsorship covers one time costs. The material will be cheaper after that. Since you are already a sponsor at some level you are in line to get material early.

I think the end user material cost of a 4-5 foot system with the extra do-dads you will need will cost $25 -$30, cut to length and ready to go.

Oh right, I forgot about that, I have no qualms about send you $15, do you have paypal? should I send it now or after the kickstarter ends? my zipcode is 95616 if that helps your shipping calculation.

Thanks for the advice on turning it 90 degrees, that's probably what I will do, but as I mentioned, 15 pounds is not the usual weight for a dlsr and lense, it'd be more in the 5-10 pound range. balance wise, it also might be a problem when turned 90 degrees, but I'll figure that out.

Ah, I still would like the participate in the makership program, I was just curious how it'd be on the market so I can tell my friends and when I write a review, tell others of what the approximate costs would be :).
theyangster

Postby bdring » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:45 pm

The material will take a while to get. I will contact you when the material is ready. The MakerShip people will be some of the first to get material :)

If you need help with custom fabrication for other parts as part of the project, I can sponsor you on that as well.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby theyangster » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:33 am

bdring wrote:The material will take a while to get. I will contact you when the material is ready. The MakerShip people will be some of the first to get material :)

If you need help with custom fabrication for other parts as part of the project, I can sponsor you on that as well.

Yay! Super excited!

One major question, would it be harder or worth it to have a 4 wheel configuration? I think this would result in a better load bearing system, but if one side is mounted on eccentric spacers, trying to correctly tension two wheels doesn't seem very fun and might lead to less smooth travel.

The only other things I could think of right now is for me finding/designing a better mount system for a tripod or just table top (some sort of flip out legs) with appropriate threaded mounts (do you have a drill press and a thread tap?) and adding a sort of friction lock so that lock the camera in place. A lot of these features are on the Konova slider (review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY-Sq1NEoGM&feature=related which uses a similar roller bearing system, I especially like how the konova slider has adjustable feet, so that's something I think I would like to incorporate, but I don't know how well/easy that would be fabricate on your part.

I'll also take a look at a motorized system (something like system in the vimeo link) or something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Ak0AF9faU&feature=related since your CNC systems seem to share the same type of idea :).
theyangster

ANother possibility

Postby twehr » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:51 pm

It would be interesting to build a plate that has a spring-loaded 3rd roller. Then teach the rail extruder to produce custom curved rails. You could then custom design any (reasonable) camera movement you want. Add in moving the custom rail vertically on a couple of Z axis rails. At the prices Bart has been estimating for product, it would not be unreasonable to design a custom setup just for a single shot, if that shot would make the movie what it needs to be.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Next

Return to Designs and Design Ideas