BuildLog CNC Router?

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

BuildLog CNC Router?

Postby ecurtz » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:54 pm

Will there be an "official" BuildLog CNC design at some point? The design sketch is very cool and informative, but something with a BOM, variations for axis lengths, drive recommendations, etc. would be a huge benefit for those of us without much design experience.
ecurtz

Re: BuildLog CNC?

Postby mxk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:13 pm

Agreed. I've built a couple of Mendel 3d printers so I can follow directions well and do minor adjustments but going from just a sketch to reality is daunting.
mxk

Postby bdring » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Are talking about a CNC router using Makerslide? There will be a buildlog.net one documented soon. I am putting the final touches on it. I am tweaking the configuration as I go, so I don't want to release the specifications yet. It will be somewhat scalable in a number of ways including to a unique configuration that I think will be very appealing to some people.

I want to make sure the components are also somewhat generic so they can be used in a variety different CNC machines.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mxk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:12 am

Excellent, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm looking forward to seeing it!
mxk

Postby ecurtz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Yeah, I meant CNC router. I guess this would be a good place to use the correct terminology.

Glad to hear that it is in the works, since I'm more interested in a router than the laser cutter (for the moment.)
ecurtz

Early Snapshot

Postby bdring » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:37 am

Here is an early snapshot of the layout so far. There are two basic slide plates used. One is smaller and works in two orientations and the other has mounting holes for a motor, bearing block and lead screw nut. This router currently has about 600mm x 600mm x 120mm work area. This could easily be scaled to at least 1000mm x 1000mm x 200mm. After that the lead screws may whip a little at higher speeds. To scale it all you do is increase the lengths of the MakerSlide and the lead screws.

This uses a replaceable wood base that can be drilled and filled with threaded inserts for work piece clamping. The assembly also uses a single style bearing block at the ends of the Z and Y axes and another one for the ends of the gantry. The only other custom parts are the bearing blocks to hold the shaft for the X (gantry) axis and the lead screw nut that is used on all three axes. I hope to release all these parts with the Makerslide project.

There is a lot of missing detail at this point and a few errors that need to be cleaned up.

I will do a preliminary build cost on this setup, but for reference, the frame price is below using Makerslide and misumi extrusions

Makerslide Extrusions (4) Total = ~$25
Legs (4) @ $2.60 = $10.40
Front/Rear Coss Memeber (2) @ 6.85 = $13.70
Surface Support (2) + $2.82 + (2) @ 3.76 = $13.16
Bracket (~24) @ 0.80 = $19.20

Total cost of the frame only (extrusions and corner brackets) is less than about $85. :D

Untitled Project 50.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby j_siegel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:41 am

I think now would be a good time for me to tell you how much I respect your work and appreciate what you do for the open-source community. First the laser, and now this.

Amazing work, and count me in as one of the early-stage builders! (My girlfriend, on the other hand, hates you ;) ).
j_siegel

Re: BuildLog CNC Router?

Postby BenJackson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:33 am

Probably better to fix the Z wheels to the gantry and run the makerslide piece up and down. It gives you a lot more flexibility in Z.
BenJackson

Z Axis Methods

Postby bdring » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:25 pm

That was the original plan. I did that on the BuildlogBot 3D printer. There were a few trade offs that steered me in this direction for this design. This is just the most basic version of this design. This design is being scaled up in a few ways that prefer this approach at the next level.

You could always mix and match designs. You could use one gantry design with another Z design. You could even have both and swap as the job requires. I came up with this "derail" notch a while ago and might give it a try. Put this at the far end of the rail and you could loosen the wheel and pull a carriage off.

Untitled Project 43.jpg

I have built at least three routers to completion. Each time I decommission a router, most of the materials are scraped. With t-slot based construction, many of the parts are reusable. I saved everything but the skins from my first laser.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Early Snapshot

Postby twehr » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:22 pm

bdring wrote:This uses a replaceable wood base that can be drilled and filled with threaded inserts for work piece clamping.
Untitled Project 50.jpg

I keep looking at this image and knowing there is something "extra" to be said about the design. You know I don't like fixed work area tops, so I started focusing on that. Here is what I have come up with.

Besides the obvious multiple tops (fixture jigs, etc.), what if you simply removed the top and extended the Z axis a few inches. You would then have a (somewhat) portable x,y,z system that could be placed on top of your target work surface (4x8 panel, doors, etc.), and you would not be limited to the 600x600 area (for the material). Careful design setup (non-touching art segments) could even be routed on an unlimited size material by repositioning the whole router above various parts of the material.

You might need to add some non-marring feet for the four corners and a way to prevent the whole machine from lifting up when you do a plunge, but still...
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Next

Return to Designs and Design Ideas