PHcad or LaserCad use with DSP AWL-608

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

PHcad or LaserCad use with DSP AWL-608

Postby Fischer » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi everybody, - and thank you this good forum.

I am making smoking pipe, and just bought a Triumph Laser 5030H with rotary for engraving my logo in the pipe.

The machine is working perfect, my only problem is the logo position, the best position for me is “Right Center”, but the logo are not in center, and when the diameter is smaller the logo is going more out of center. When I choose “Right UP” the position is perfect. In both setting the logo size is right on the different diameter.

I use Phcad 4.47
DSP look like an AWC-608, - but not sure.
Step motor for the rotary is Leadshine 50HS09, Step Driver 2M542-N.

I have thinking to tray the LaserCad software, but it’s make me confuse who I can get legally from, is it freeware? LaserCad looks newer, and a little bit different from Phcad. Another thing is I think there is a problem to read USB key on my machine, when I tray the display only show “USB No File” and the key FAT format.

Anybody knows something about this, - I will be happy.

Carsten
Attachments
Laser-Engraving-Up-Right-PS.jpg
Laser-Engraving-Up-Right-PS
Laser-Engraving-Center-PS.jpg
Laser-Engraving-Center-PS
Rotary.jpg
Rotary
Controler.jpg
DSP Controler
Fischer

Re: PHcad or LaserCad use with DSP AWL-608

Postby twehr » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Fischer wrote:Hi everybody, - and thank you this good forum.

I am making smoking pipe, and just bought a Triumph Laser 5030H with rotary for engraving my logo in the pipe.

I use Phcad 4.47
DSP look like an AWC-608, - but not sure.

I have thinking to tray the LaserCad software, but it’s make me confuse who I can get legally from, is it freeware? LaserCad looks newer, and a little bit different from Phcad. Another thing is I think there is a problem to read USB key on my machine, when I tray the display only show “USB No File” and the key FAT format.

The model you have and the AWC-608 are very similar. The software they use are also similar, in that they use the same core design libraries. The difference is in what the software does with the design data and how it manipulates it as it is transmitted to the controller. There is where you will find the difference. Since the two controllers are expecting different information, it is very unlikely that you would be able to use the newer software and make it work successfully. It MAY do somethings correctly, but doubt it will be an adequate replacement for what you have.

By the way, I wouldn't expect any updates to the software you have. The controller you have is an older model that, to my understanding, is no longer supported or improved by the original controller manufacturer. Your only option is to learn (by trial and error) what your software is really doing with the rotary information and find a way to adapt what you are doing to get the results you can live with. Of course, you could always upgrade to the newer controller - I believe they are mostly interchangeable electronically. May be a couple of changes in the limit switches, etc. but generally the same. You might want to check with Marco over at LightObject and see how much would have to change to upgrade.

Good luck!
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby a542002 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:16 am

Hi carsten,
I dont know about the rotary because I dont work with this but I can tell a bit about the DSP AWC-608 for the USB stick it needs to be formatet in FAT32 and if you put the stick in you have to press the reset botton and then it will work. but keep in mind the controller card cn only read files with the format " .UD5" noting else will work.
greetings
walt
a542002

Postby Fischer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 am

Thank you for answer.

I have now tray near everything with the USB key, and with the same result every time, so I will contact Marco with LightObject for order a new DSP, because I fine out the controller I have now is a PH-BOARD V2.0.

Carsten
Fischer

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller