Colour palette in Corel to suit LaserCAD

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Colour palette in Corel to suit LaserCAD

Postby Greolt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:52 am

I have a LO DSP on order but have not received it as yet. Been playing around with LaserCAD together with X5.

Looks like there are some basic colours that LaserCAD uses to differentiate objects to cut and or engrave.

Perhaps it would be good to have a custom colour palette in X5 to match LaserCAD. Does this sound reasonable?

Is there a way to identify the LaserCAD colours apart from simply visual ? Is there RGB values to use ?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree and not realise it, because so far I have not used the software in earnest ?

Greolt
Greolt

Re: Colour palette in Corel to suit LaserCAD

Postby twehr » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Greolt wrote:Looks like there are some basic colours that LaserCAD uses to differentiate objects to cut and or engrave.

Perhaps it would be good to have a custom colour palette in X5 to match LaserCAD. Does this sound reasonable?

Is there a way to identify the LaserCAD colours apart from simply visual ? Is there RGB values to use ?

Greolt

Greolt,

Speed and power and cut vs engrave are set in LaserCAD on a layer-by-layer basis, and colors are (for vectors and engraved vectors) how you differentiate the layers. I once thought it would be good to have a standard set of colors to use that would correlate to a standard set of speeds and powers and whether it is cutting or engraving. If you are only going to work with a single material, that would work pretty well.

The problem is that engraving a particular item on wood is going to be different that it is on marble and different from what it is going to be on leather and ..... Therefore, the number of combinations you need to cover even your most common situations is likely to be so large that you would run out of colors or you would not be able to remember which are for what.

That being said...It MAY be reasonable to "reserve" certain colors for engraving and certain colors for outline/cutting operations. That way, when you transfer to LaserCAD, they will always appear correctly on the screen. You will still have to set the actual speed and power on a layer-by-layer basis.

I have noticed that it is sometimes difficult to pick a color in Corel and to know exactly which color it will be in LaserCAD. A custom pallet in Corel might be useful for that.

Finding the colors is pretty easy. There are a number of tools out in the world (for free and otherwise) that allow you to "pick" the color off the screen. Fire up LaserCAD, find the various colors values, and create your custom pallet.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby Greolt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks Tim

Don't know how useful it will be, however I created a custom Palette with the LaserCAD colours.

Greolt
Greolt

Postby twehr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:07 am

Greolt wrote:Thanks Tim

Don't know how useful it will be, however I created a custom Palette with the LaserCAD colours.

Greolt

Is there a way to share it?
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby Greolt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 am

Tim

I am using X5

In My Documents there is a folder "My Palettes" This may not be created until you create a custom Palette? I don't know.

In that folder was the attached file.

This is the one I created of the standard colours in LaserCAD.

Greolt
Attachments
LaserCAD.xml
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 1071 times
Greolt

Postby twehr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Greolt wrote:Tim

I am using X5

In My Documents there is a folder "My Palettes" This may not be created until you create a custom Palette? I don't know.

In that folder was the attached file.

This is the one I created of the standard colours in LaserCAD.

Greolt

Great. I'll check it out on X4 this weekend.

Thanks!
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller