How to manage my Z axis

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

How to manage my Z axis

Postby Greolt » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:20 am

I have not as yet figured out a good way to manage my Z axis in day to day use.

When I start up the machine, I can't lower the table because Z is already at zero.

The Z axis starts up at zero and so can not be lowered without doing a reset. This reset requires scrolling through the menu and time to achieve.

Now I know that I can set the machine preferences to do an automatic Z axis reset at start up.

But this becomes a nuisance for those times that I need to continue on a previously used material.

Then I want the table to stay exactly where it is and avoid the long process of reset and then readjust the cutting height to where it already was.

What I would like is that the Z axis could be moved both up and down after start up, if or as required.

I had read that using the U axis overcomes this but on my controller the U axis has the same behaviour as the Z in this respect.

Does anyone have any good ideas or ways to manage the Z axis?

Note that I neither have nor use automatic focus. It is done manually.

Greolt

AWC608
Greolt

Re: How to manage my Z axis

Postby twehr » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Greolt wrote:What I would like is that the Z axis could be moved both up and down after start up, if or as required.

I had read that using the U axis overcomes this but on my controller the U axis has the same behaviour as the Z in this respect.

Does anyone have any good ideas or ways to manage the Z axis?

Note that I neither have nor use automatic focus. It is done manually.

Greolt

AWC608

Greolt - I have the same controller as you and I continue to use the U axis as I described here.

Make sure you have the option to reset the U on start up as Unchecked.

What is it doing that you do not like - maybe I can help you discover why. It really is, in my opinion, the only way to manage your table height on the DSP controllers.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby Greolt » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:57 pm

twehr wrote:Make sure you have the option to reset the U on start up as Unchecked.

Tim

Thanks for your reply.

I think you are saying that I am wrong about the U axis having the same behaviour as the Z in this respect.

I will be happy if that is the case. I will revisit the U today. :)

Greolt
Greolt

Postby Greolt » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:57 pm

Tim

I have revisited the U axis and believe that my controller must be different to yours. If there is a way to set it that I am missing, I would very glad to hear it.

Upon startup the U axis is at zero. So that means that I can not move the table down without doing a U axis reset. (Z axis the same in this respect)

I am not complaining, just wondering if users have devised a good way to manage this in day to day operations.

A check box to disable Z axis soft limits would be nice and I think a lot of operators would use it.

Greolt
Attachments
U axis soft limits.jpg
Greolt

Postby twehr » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:23 am

Greolt wrote:Tim

I have revisited the U axis and believe that my controller must be different to yours. If there is a way to set it that I am missing, I would very glad to hear it.

Upon startup the U axis is at zero. So that means that I can not move the table down without doing a U axis reset. (Z axis the same in this respect)

I am not complaining, just wondering if users have devised a good way to manage this in day to day operations.

A check box to disable Z axis soft limits would be nice and I think a lot of operators would use it.

Greolt

In Other Axis Parameters, CHECK the U Axis for Feeding. Without that, the U axis is effectively disabled.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby Greolt » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:46 am

Tim

Thanks for that.

Checking "U axis for feeding" effectively disables soft limits for the U axis. This allows the U axis to behave how I would like it for raising and lowering the table.

However with this not checked, U axis was not disabled to the purpose I was asking of it. It just acted the same as Z axis in respect of the table starting up at zero.

Bear in mind my need never was to advance the Z axis mid cut. Only manually focusing.

Thanks again,

Greolt
Greolt

Postby twehr » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:54 am

Greolt wrote:Tim

Thanks for that.

Checking "U axis for feeding" effectively disables soft limits for the U axis. This allows the U axis to behave how I would like it for raising and lowering the table.

However with this not checked, U axis was not disabled to the purpose I was asking of it. It just acted the same as Z axis in respect of the table starting up at zero.

Bear in mind my need never was to advance the Z axis mid cut. Only manually focusing.

Thanks again,

Greolt

Glad it is working for you now. Like you, I find virtually no need for auto-focus, but good, easy control of the bed is a must. Using the U axis has always provided that. (The current version of the controller added the checkbox - that's why it wasn't mentioned in the blog and I forgot to mention to you on this thread.)
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby Greolt » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:01 am

Tim

Perhaps in the future an option to disable Z axis soft limits may be something to consider.

As the U axis soft limits can at present, effectively be disabled, it may not be too difficult from a programmers perspective.

I am sure a lot of users would make use of such an option.

Greolt
Greolt

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller