Laser Button on DSP Display

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Laser Button on DSP Display

Postby whmeade10 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:52 pm

I have never had to use it until tonight. I decided to clean my focusing lens and after reinstalling it I needed to realign the the mirror above it. I tried to use the laser button to fire the laser to align the mirror and it won't fire the laser long enough to make a mark. I can take the side cover off and disconnect the DSP from the laser power supply and use the test fire button but that is defeating the purpose of the button on the DSP display. Is there a setting that allows a longer fire duration when pressing the laser button? The Retina I had hooked up had a setting but I can't seem to find it in the Laser software.

Second problem I am having is that I engrave a ton of the Rowmark LaserMax from Johnson Plastics and have to almost shut off the air assist due to smoke being blown down into the white under coat and making it dirty and impossible to clean. But that allows the smoke to rise up and coat the focusing lens which cuts down considerably on power. Does anyone have a good technique for cutting this material. I have considered getting another lens that needs to be focused farther away from the material thus allowing me to turn on enough air to keep the focus lens clean. What do you all think?

Thanks,
Bill
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Re: Laser Button on DSP Display

Postby a542002 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:35 am

Hi bill
the laser botton on the dispaly of the AW608 fires the laser as long as you hold the botton.
to remove the smoke I use a 500CF inline fan on the exaust and it pulles the smoke right out, the air assist is actually just good for cutting.
greetings
walt
a542002

Postby whmeade10 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:15 am

a542002 wrote:Hi bill
the laser botton on the dispaly of the AW608 fires the laser as long as you hold the botton.
to remove the smoke I use a 500CF inline fan on the exaust and it pulles the smoke right out, the air assist is actually just good for cutting.
greetings
walt

The laser does fire when I push the button on the DSP Display but at a very low level. It barely fires the laser. Nothing like when using the test button on the laser power supply. The test fire button must fire a 100% power burst and the DSP is more like 10%.

Bill
whmeade10

Postby twehr » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:34 pm

whmeade10 wrote:
a542002 wrote:Hi bill
greetings
walt

The laser does fire when I push the button on the DSP Display but at a very low level. It barely fires the laser. Nothing like when using the test button on the laser power supply. The test fire button must fire a 100% power burst and the DSP is more like 10%.

Bill

It fires at the default power level set on the control panel. If it is not powerful enough, then set it higher.

To set it:
    1 Press the Enter button. (the power level should then be highlighted)
    2 Press the Enter button, again (this brings up the adjustment view)
    3 Use the L-R arrow keys to move to the digit to adjust and use the U-D arrow keys to change the digit
    4 Press the Enter button to accept the change
    5 Press the Esc key to return to normal display.

Pressing the Laser key at this point will fire the laser at the new power settings.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby whmeade10 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks Tim! I new you would have the answer. To be honest the only thing on the DSP Display I use is the reset Z axis every time I start up the laser. Guess I better read up a little more on the Display. :oops:

Bill
whmeade10

Postby twehr » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:31 pm

whmeade10 wrote:Thanks Tim! I new you would have the answer. To be honest the only thing on the DSP Display I use is the reset Z axis every time I start up the laser. Guess I better read up a little more on the Display. :oops:

Bill

If you absolutely need the auto focus, resetting the z every time you start is, unfortunately, a requirement. If you can live without the auto-focus (I have never needed it), you could switch to using the U axis instead of the Z axis to control table height. I wrote it all up here and love the way it works.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby jkittle99 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:20 am

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but my question seems right on topic with the subejct so here goes.. I'm just now connecting my LO DSP (2012) to my laser, and doing alignments, etc. When I press the fire button, the laser comes on and STAYS ON. Nothing I do short of pressing the reset button shuts it off. This doesn't sound right. Granted, I"m still very fresh and new to all of this, I've browsed (but not memorized, and possibly missed steps) in the various howto's etc that are out there... so I'm open to this being something stupid.

Josh
jkittle99

Postby twehr » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 am

jkittle99 wrote:Not to hijack the thread or anything, but my question seems right on topic with the subejct so here goes.. I'm just now connecting my LO DSP (2012) to my laser, and doing alignments, etc. When I press the fire button, the laser comes on and STAYS ON. Nothing I do short of pressing the reset button shuts it off. This doesn't sound right. Granted, I"m still very fresh and new to all of this, I've browsed (but not memorized, and possibly missed steps) in the various howto's etc that are out there... so I'm open to this being something stupid.

Josh

Josh,

You have an issue with grounding. Run a separate ground from the control panel, to the AWC608 box, to the laser PS box, to the power ground.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby JakeS » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi Josh-

Another issue besides grounding is to make sure that you don't have the "Level Low" line connected instead of the "Level High" line on the Laser PS. That can also give your result, as I found out the hard way. :oops:

jkittle99 wrote:Not to hijack the thread or anything, but my question seems right on topic with the subejct so here goes.. I'm just now connecting my LO DSP (2012) to my laser, and doing alignments, etc. When I press the fire button, the laser comes on and STAYS ON. Nothing I do short of pressing the reset button shuts it off. This doesn't sound right. Granted, I"m still very fresh and new to all of this, I've browsed (but not memorized, and possibly missed steps) in the various howto's etc that are out there... so I'm open to this being something stupid.

Josh
JakeS

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller