Need help Building Laser cutter with Thunderlaser DSP

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Need help Building Laser cutter with Thunderlaser DSP

Postby zapro » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi.

Over the last year some guys at our Hackerspace http://www.labitat.dk has been building a Laser cutter from scratch. The project came to a halt due to unsufficient time / sickness.

I have revived the project now. I need to figure out where to get the software for the controller we have (we got the controller, as-is as a gift from a former member)

It's a Thunderlaser DSP. The only software i could find online is the RDWorks V8 on thunderlaser.com - I tried installing it on two different computers but to no avail.

Installing the FTDI driver works fine, it see the COM-port, but both the "test" and download function fails.

Is the RDWorks-software compatible with our hardware?

Sorry if these questions is quite noob-ish, but i have no experience with this un-documented chinese hardware.

IMG_3676.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG

IMG_3680.JPG

Thanks in advance!
zapro

Re: Need help Building Laser cutter with Thunderlaser DSP

Postby Techgraphix » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:12 pm

This controller is a DF212.
check this:
http://www.thunderlaser.co.nz/technical-support/downloads/category/df212-and-lasergrav-software.html
The software you need is called PHCad

Kees
Techgraphix

Postby zapro » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Techgraphix wrote:This controller is a DF212.
check this:
http://www.thunderlaser.co.nz/technical-support/downloads/category/df212-and-lasergrav-software.html
The software you need is called PHCad

Kees

Thanks!

The software PHCAD doesn't seem to be available ANYWHERE

Do you have any tips on how to obtain the software?

Thanks.
zapro

Postby Techgraphix » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Although I have had 2 other controllers, I still found it on my computer installed.. Maybe when you copy the entire directory to your computer it may work...
Give me some time to retract it and dump it in a dropbox file.. I will send you the downloadlink.. but maybe tomorrow evening as i'm very busy tomorrow..
Else you may try to mail the guys at thunderlaser.. they might help you with a install-file.. Ask for the latest PHCad. Normally they where very cooperative..
Else... I have to trace the guy I sold mu old Thunderlaser DF212 and ask him if he can send me the files..

we keep in touch...

Kees
Techgraphix

Postby zapro » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Cool. I got the software up and running - Great :D

The problem i am having is that the stepper drivers they mounted in the machine is these: http://www.dx.com/p/tb6560-3a-single-axis-controller-stepper-motor-driver-board-green-black-red-217142

They only do 16-step microstepping. No matter what i input into the controller configuration the machine accelerates and moves extremely slow and noisy.

Am i correct that these stepper drivers are not suited for the job?

The stepper motors are NEMA17 & NEMA24 1,6 Amp/200 step/rev.

// Per.
zapro

Postby Techgraphix » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:28 pm

When I read TB6XXX as stepperdriver, I always get the shivers.... Just ditch them and buy a few decent stepperdrivers like Leadshine's (or clones).
They really don't cost that much but perform great.. (my machine has Nema24-3nm steppers and does accelerate with 5G and reaches 2000mm/sec and that is frightening fast..
The power supply, I use is 48V 12A..

Kees
Techgraphix

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller