Not enough space, extend pl

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Not enough space, extend pl

Postby lasersafe1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:23 am

Those of us with older DSP's have seen this message and know that it means there was not enough space for acceleration beyond the limits of the object to engrave and the limits of the machine. I was just reminded of this again yesterday when I was 95% done engraving a really nice 9" by 18" black granite slab. I thought I was in the clear since the image downloaded and it began to engrave. Much to my surprise it stopped and gave the warning far too late in the process. I now have a nice engraved door stop or anchor.

So here's my question: Do the newer models of the DSP perform any checks and warn you ahead of time that at some point in the engraving it will run out of room? I understand that they now report real time position?
lasersafe1

Re: Not enough space, extend pl

Postby Gadroc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:59 am

I get a not enough space error when I press start on my 2012, although I don't engrave at a speed that requires that much oversewing so I'm not sure I would have hit this scenario yet. Most of mine have been not enough space on cut jobs.
Gadroc

Postby lasersafe1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:44 am

My image had narrow stuff at the first 95% of the image, then at the bottom there was a wide base image that took the full 18" width. I would upload the image, but it is a Christmas gift to someone who might see it on this forum. That darn DSP just has to know if it will run into problems!
lasersafe1

Postby a542002 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:09 am

Hi
I had the same probleme and there is no warning untill you start then in most cases it tells you with a beep that it is over the size.
I managed mostly to hit the stop before it start to engrave
greetings
walt

lasersafe1 wrote:Those of us with older DSP's have seen this message and know that it means there was not enough space for acceleration beyond the limits of the object to engrave and the limits of the machine. I was just reminded of this again yesterday when I was 95% done engraving a really nice 9" by 18" black granite slab. I thought I was in the clear since the image downloaded and it began to engrave. Much to my surprise it stopped and gave the warning far too late in the process. I now have a nice engraved door stop or anchor.

So here's my question: Do the newer models of the DSP perform any checks and warn you ahead of time that at some point in the engraving it will run out of room? I understand that they now report real time position?
a542002

Postby Gadroc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:18 pm

I'll try this weekend to recreate the scenario with my machine to see if I can get it to fail with that message after a job starts. So far mine has let me know before I started the job.
Gadroc

Postby a542002 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:16 pm

I just had the same trouble but I just stop the machine and set the speed down and start again and it worked perfect.
it looks like that depends on the laser power because with the higher speed setting and lower laser power setting it did work perfect too.
greetings
walt

Gadroc wrote:I'll try this weekend to recreate the scenario with my machine to see if I can get it to fail with that message after a job starts. So far mine has let me know before I started the job.
a542002

Postby lasersafe1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:47 pm

I have attached an example image in the spirit of the season. If I were to place this on the far left of my machine and tell it to raster engrave at 800mm/sec, it will start up, engrave down two or three rows of stars, and then give me the error. The DSP should be smart enough to see this error before starting. Like I said before, it ruined a really nice piece of granite 9" by 18" granite. My fault for not catching it myself, but still.....
If the newer DSP also does it, perhaps we can ask Marco if the programmers can fix it.
Attachments
Christmass tree.jpg
lasersafe1

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 pm

Rotate that image 180 degrees and you won't have that problem anymore.

I don't get that problem. Mine just crashes the end of the gantry, loses steps, then keeps going with everything shifted to the side.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby lasersafe1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:02 pm

180 wouldn't help. It would still start engraving the base and then report the error when it reaches the wide part of the tree. I guess one thing that would save me is mounting my left hand ruler further to the right on the table so there is a little extra room to the left for accel/decel.
Yes, I used to crash mine all the time when I ran it with Mach3.
lasersafe1

Postby TLHarrell » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:46 pm

I tend not to use the full width of my cutting area, so I've finally gotten into the habit of dropping my material in the center. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a centering ruler tape placed on the aluminum extrusion at the front of the machine. My cutting grid starts about 3/4" from home position. I know it takes up about 1" or so for accel/decel when rastering at 100% speed. I had one project running, a circular logo, where it started clipping the home switch before it got down to the center. I was sure it was going to bang the axis... must have missed it by the finest fraction of an inch.

Does your controller/cad setup use a bounding box that can be set to not cut? I know in Retina, I set a rectangle to yellow, repeats to 0. That could give you another boundary to have the controller check.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Next

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller