6%
Greg's Hinged Accessible Extruder
23%
Other
9%

Total votes : 35

Re: Extruder Poll

Postby LeonS » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:40 pm

I'll be using a Greg's hinged (accessible) extruder with a MakerGear hotend. later I'll be trying dual hot ends fed by bowden extruders.
LeonS

Postby mxk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:20 am

LeonS wrote:I'll be using a Greg's hinged (accessible) extruder with a MakerGear hotend. later I'll be trying dual hot ends fed by bowden extruders.

I love my Makergear hot-ends. I just got a pair of J-head hot-ends to also experiment with dual extruders. They have the same groovemount as the Makergear but have an integrated heater block and nozzle cut from one piece of brass. I am sure Brian will be offering other nozzle sizes, and they looks like they will fit closer together than a pair of the Makergear blobs. Offsetting them in my Mendel carriage it looks like I will be losing about 40mm by 20mm of build area. How were you planning on getting your nozzles at the same height?
mxk

Postby LeonS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Getting the nozzles aligned to the same height does seem like a key issue for multiple extruders. If I use MakerGear groove mount hotends, one of them may need to be adjustable in the Z axis. Since groove mounts rely on tightening the nozzle and mount body "as tight as possible" that leaves little room for adjustment within the hotend itself.

Do the J-head hotends allow for any height adjustment?
LeonS

Postby mxk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:24 pm

The J-head is also a groovemount system. My hope is that I can print a carriage to hold the two hot-ends that will make sure their cold ends descend the same distance below the carriage, then using plumbers tape tighten the hot-ends until they are the same depth, too.

Someone earlier asked if the J-heads could swap nozzles for different sizes as the person got more adept. The answer is yes, Brian offers nozzles from 0.35mm to 0.75mm at http://www.hotends.com

The attached picture is with a 0.35mm nozzle.
Attachments
j-head.jpg
mxk

Previous

Return to ORD Bot