Wade's family of extruders

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Wade's family of extruders

Postby bdring » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 am

The Wade's family of extruders look like they will mount without any adapter plate or modifications. I printed a complete set of parts at 200mm/sec. They came out great and mounted right up.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Wade's family of extruders

Postby butterfingers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:40 am

That's good news. I wanted to use a Wade's type feeder with a J-Head. Just need to find somebody to print me one locally down under...
butterfingers

Postby butterfingers » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:18 am

Just following up in a logical place.

I now have the printed parts for a "Greg's Hinged Accessible" extruder, the bearings and most of the hardware. I'll be using this with a 0.35mm J-Head. Anyone else using this combo? For PLA it's recommended to use a fan to cool the cold side of the J-Head. I came across this dinky fan unit, which looks to be an ideal match:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/av-752512s ... diy-128160

Should hopefully mount flat under the carriage, and probably best if speed controlled:
butterfingers

Postby orcinus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:04 am

butterfingers wrote: For PLA it's recommended to use a fan to cool the cold side of the J-Head.

Not an expert, but AFAIK, the idea is to cool the PLA you've just printed, not the cold-end.
To prevent sagging.
orcinus

Postby Zat German » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:19 am

orcinus wrote:Not an expert, but AFAIK, the idea is to cool the PLA you've just printed, not the cold-end.
To prevent sagging.

This is incorrect. With PLA and a J Head, you need to cool the cold end. That is what the holes drilled through the PEEK are for on the J Head. If you don't do this, the PLA can warm up too much, expand and then jam.

You can also use a fan to cool the recently printed PLA if you have trouble with sagging or warping.
Zat German

Postby orcinus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 am

Ah. See, that's why i'm not an expert :oops:
Thanks for the correction, didn't know the J head required cooling.

(although, now that i think about it, it makes sense, considering there are no "real" heat sink / heat dissipation structures on it)
orcinus

Postby IPvFletch » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Is it JUST the J head nozzle which requires cool-end cooling? What about the DIY hot ends that are basically just drilled out bolts with a heater block on the lower portion??
IPvFletch

Postby crispyfry » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:37 pm

IPvFletch wrote:Is it JUST the J head nozzle which requires cool-end cooling? What about the DIY hot ends that are basically just drilled out bolts with a heater block on the lower portion??

I think most hotends recommend forced air cooling for PLA. Every hotend and printer is different, so you may or may not need to cool your hotend. For instance I've used my jhead with PLA and did not have a fan on the hotend. I didn't have issues with the PLA jamming. But I mostly print ABS. If you print relatively quickly and don't let the extruder sit at temperature, the heat won't have as much opportunity to creep up the filament, so you may be able to not use a fan.

TL;DR: It's definitely possible to print PLA without a fan to cool the hotend. But a fan is recommended. If you print PLA regularly you are eventually going to run into a situation where you want/need a fan on the hotend.
crispyfry

Postby tango282 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I too will be using this combo. The impression I got from researching mimics crispyfry's opinion/experience, so I decided to forgo the fan for now. I am pretty sure there will be plenty of troubleshooting before I need to figure out whether or not I need a fan :ugeek:

We should probably create a J-Head Nozzle section, but something orcinus said triggered an idea. Worse case is just add the heatsink back in? Some aluminium washers cut to fit in the slots....... oh crap this is how it starts, isn't it??!!
tango282

Postby Ambient » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:52 pm

The hinged version I bought from a guy on ebay does need an adapter plate. Here is my adapter design for mounting a J-head/Wades to the Hadron. See the attached pdf. I call it the J-Wadron!
Attachments
J-WADRON.pdf
(13.18 KiB) Downloaded 1074 times
Ambient

Next

Return to ORD Bot