Wade's family of extruders

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Wade's family of extruders

Postby orcinus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Re: cooling... Does anyone have any experience with PLA and Arcol.hu v4 hotend?
I think the Arcol.hu v3 design was advertised as being pretty good at preventing heat from creeping up the cold end, not sure about v4 (especially considering it's much shorter than v3).
orcinus

Postby butterfingers » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Ambient wrote:The hinged version I bought from a guy on ebay does need an adapter plate. Here is my adapter design for mounting a J-head/Wades to the Hadron. See the attached pdf. I call it the J-Wadron!

You da man! Thanks. :D
butterfingers

Postby LeonS » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Ambent Wrote:
The hinged version I bought from a guy on ebay does need an adapter plate. Here is my adapter design for mounting a J-head/Wades to the Hadron. See the attached pdf. I call it the J-Wadron!

I like your layout and the way you presented it.

I plan on doing the same thing even though I managed to get my Greg's hinged extruder mounted using #6 screws. I plan on doing a couple of additional changes with my adapter:

1) I want to make the adapter about an inch thick to raise the nozzle closer to the bottom of the carriage. This will give an extra inch of height to the build envelope. Since there is no structure above the gantry this change is relatively "free" of tradeoffs.

2) I want to move the holes to mount the extruder to the left about 10mm. The home position on my Hadron overlaps the build plate by about that much. I can't get any more leeway to the left. I want the Z home to be outside the perimeter of the glass sheet I use as a build surface. I need this as I usually home below the glass surface and put the necessary Gcode in the start up code to raise it to the right level and reset its position (G92 X0 Y0 Z0). That way I can tune the nozzle height without messing with the Z endstop position. I can edit the generated Gcode directly from Pronterface until I home in on the right value.
LeonS

Postby Ambient » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:38 pm

LeonS wrote:
Ambent Wrote:
The hinged version I bought from a guy on ebay does need an adapter plate. Here is my adapter design for mounting a J-head/Wades to the Hadron. See the attached pdf. I call it the J-Wadron!

I like your layout and the way you presented it.

I plan on doing the same thing even though I managed to get my Greg's hinged extruder mounted using #6 screws. I plan on doing a couple of additional changes with my adapter:

1) I want to make the adapter about an inch thick to raise the nozzle closer to the bottom of the carriage. This will give an extra inch of height to the build envelope. Since there is no structure above the gantry this change is relatively "free" of tradeoffs.

2) I want to move the holes to mount the extruder to the left about 10mm. The home position on my Hadron overlaps the build plate by about that much. I can't get any more leeway to the left. I want the Z home to be outside the perimeter of the glass sheet I use as a build surface. I need this as I usually home below the glass surface and put the necessary Gcode in the start up code to raise it to the right level and reset its position (G92 X0 Y0 Z0). That way I can tune the nozzle height without messing with the Z endstop position. I can edit the generated Gcode directly from Pronterface until I home in on the right value.

1) Have you considered just using some metal standoffs instead of a thick plate? Might be easier, but I don't know what hot end you have. The cleanest option would be to toss the carriage and design a new one. That is something I plan on doing in the future, along with designing an extruder that will fit perfectly with the stock carriage. But I have to get a printer running first, I am still a printing virgin.

I am glad you guys like the adapter plate. I kept it basic as a first run (square edges, etc...). I will be making one today with the remainder of my lunch break and post some pics tonight I hope. PM me if you want the DWG or a DXF file to mess with for your particular setup.
Ambient

Postby Ambient » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Here it is:

Ambient

Postby mxk » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:04 pm

I got the small NEMA17s from Phidgets last night. Only had enough time to do a test fit because the wife had plans for the evening, but wow are they small! There's tons of room for a Gregs Wades to fit on the ORD carriage without an adapter plate. I will find out tonight if they have enough torque to drive 3mm filament. I hope so because with my Quantum I don't want to give up any more print area than I have to.

I tapped the end holes on the carriage for M4 screws, and bolted the extruder down to those. There's enough room that I may be able to move the extruder to the inward holes and not hang over the edge of the carriage at all.
IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

My ex-coworkers may recognize this power supply from a small Juniper router. Puts out 12V @ 5amps, perfect if you don't use a heated bed. I still need to buy a small picture frame from a local dollar store so I can cut the glass for a print bed, and hopefully will be melting plastic this weekend. I sure hope that motor has enough torque.
mxk

Postby Zat German » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:18 pm

mxk wrote:I got the small NEMA17s from Phidgets last night. Only had enough time to do a test fit because the wife had plans for the evening, but wow are they small! There's tons of room for a Gregs Wades to fit on the ORD carriage without an adapter plate. I will find out tonight if they have enough torque to drive 3mm filament. I hope so because with my Quantum I don't want to give up any more print area than I have to.

Please post how your test works out. I was looking at the specs of that motor and it has like 10x less torque than what the reprap wiki recommends for a geared extruder, so I am really interested in whether this work. I am going to have to make an adapter plate for this weekend so I can hopefully start printing but if that motor works, I will probably switch to that.
Zat German

Postby Enraged » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:35 pm

I just got my Hadron in the mail yesterday and I dry fit my Wades Reloaded onto the carriage plate, and it fits perfectly. The only modification I will have to do is drill out two holes for the M4 bolts. I'll post some pictures this afternoon when I get home.
Enraged

Postby IPvFletch » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Enraged wrote:I just got my Hadron in the mail yesterday and I dry fit my Wades Reloaded onto the carriage plate, and it fits perfectly. The only modification I will have to do is drill out two holes for the M4 bolts. I'll post some pictures this afternoon when I get home.

Yes, please do. Also can you share your assembly info of your extruder? On mine I have a bunch of extra washers and nuts, but it looks like it is not needed, so I was thinking of shrinking it down. Anyways I need a new hobbed bolt still, just not sure what length now..
IPvFletch

Postby Enraged » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:35 pm

I drilled out the outer set of holes with a 3/16" bit, and the Wades Reloaded dropped right on. You can see that it has clearance between the plate and the gears.

As for how it goes together, I think it's pretty simple? You use M3 bolts and nuts for the guide bearing holder, short M3s (I used 10mm long) to mount the motor. As you can see, my hobbed bolt is a bit longer than it needs to be. I also put a few M8 washers in to add clearance around the stepper mounting bolts. I haven't yet cut the M8 threaded rod that the guide bearing rides on.

Also of note, the J-Head needed quite a bit of sanding to get it to fit into the aluminum mounting plate.
Attachments
Photo 2012-04-20 2 27 50 PM.jpg
Photo 2012-04-20 2 28 17 PM.jpg
Photo 2012-04-20 2 28 31 PM.jpg
Enraged

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot