Wade's family of extruders

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Wade's family of extruders

Postby mxk » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Enraged wrote: I haven't yet cut the M8 threaded rod that the guide bearing rides on.

If you don't have spare M8 bolts or threaded rod but do have M3 socket-head bolts that are short enough, throw about four nuts onto the M3 bolt and wrap the whole thing twice in blue painters tape. It fits pretty darn well inside the guide bearing and works just fine. I have also made and used guidlers without any support bolts for the bearing, if you use PLA for the guidler it's stiff enough and tight enough on the bearing to hold it fairly well.
mxk

Postby Enraged » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:40 pm

I've got 36" of M8 threaded rod on my desk :)
Enraged

Postby luiscp » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:12 pm

A suggestion,

Since the J-head is about 2 inch long, why don't you mount the extruder on some 1 inch standoff. This will increase build area by 1 inch. You can add a fan in case you need one on the bracket and use it to just cool the slots in the J-head.
luiscp

Postby orcinus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:41 am

Ambient, there's something wrong with the dimensions on your adapter plate drawing...
Here's what they should be to fit the relative dimensions shown:

orcinus

Postby orcinus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:53 pm

Here's my attempt at modifying Ambient's adapter plate design...

Changes:
- the bottom of the adapter plate (the part farthest away from the gantry) has been deepened so it can accomodate the whole depth of a standard Wade's extruder base
- the slot for the hotend was widened so the widest part of an Arcol.hu hotend (the heatsink) can fit through without fear. It's not meant for support anyways
- the dimensions have been corrected
- there's an optional clamp that goes on the first row of the ORD Bot extruder plate holes

The idea behind the clamp and the deeper plate is to have as much of the extruder in contact with the extruder plate surface.
The clamp is there to offer some counter-force to the weight of the stepper. I'm probably being nitpicky for no reason, owing to the fact i don't have any experience with RepRaps and Wade's family of extruders, but i simply don't like the idea of having a relatively shallow extruder base clamped to the plate in only two points (two bolts) with a rather significant weight overhanging on the rear side.

Here are the PDFs in case anyone's interested:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1702513/Adapter%20Plate.PDF
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1702513/Adapter%20Clamp.PDF

PS: This would require M3x15 bolts for the first two plate holes if the clamp-bar thingy is used.
orcinus

Postby Ambient » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Yea, yesterday I noticed that the ordinate dimensions were not matching the real ones after I made some tweaks. Autocad is so frustrating...And I have to use it for electrical schematics...ugh. I need to get a copy of Solidworks. Or try something else. Anyways, I am glad I was able to inspire you guys a little. I am excited to see what happens with that tiny stepper, it would make my adapter so much simpler! I am curious to see how much bouncing that large motor will cause when the carriage is moving quick
Ambient

Postby orcinus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Oh yeah, i'm really curious about that tiny Phidgets stepper too.
If that works out, i'm definitely ordering one. The less mass on the carriage, the better!
orcinus

Postby IPvFletch » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:47 am

Yeah, Mike, what's up with the lil baby stepper?!?! :D

FYI, on my extruder carriage (which I'm planning to ditch anyways), the bottom part which is bent 90', it is slightly off, like one side is bent higher than the other. It makes my extruder sit slightly crooked with one side sitting higher than the other. I don't "think" this will pose a problem in printing, BUT anyways like I said I'm planning at this point to ditch the original extruder carriage plate and make my own which will be 100% vertical with no bend. I will bolt up the extruder from its side. Should be pretty different, and should satisfy my needs.. Will know in a week or so, and will post pics then too!
IPvFletch

Postby JeremyBP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:17 pm

If you really want to reduce carriage mass, try a bowden extruder.
Personally, I'm not crazy baout how much hysterisis the tube puts into the system. However, since the tube and the compressed filament act like a spring, it should be possible to take advantage of that to make reversal more effective.
The other thing is that no one has really gotten any numbers on the springiness over a bowden cable.

The big advantage is that you can use a nice heavy motor (like the geared ones phidgets sells) and not have to worry about moving all that mass. Or better yet, two motors. ;)
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Postby orcinus » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:38 pm

So, apparently, for a standard Wade's (i.e. standard gears that go with it), suggested holding torque is 40 Ncm.
The Phidgets baby-stepper is only 5.4 Ncm (@0.4A). So i don't quite see a way that will work...

Re: Bowden - i'd love to experiment with that. One day. :)
orcinus

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot