Wade's family of extruders

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Wade's family of extruders

Postby WhiteB0rd » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:48 am

mhensen wrote:My Take on the Wade extruder..

Well, I've been working on the same issue for a while, here's are a couple of snapshots of the work in progress.
BudaMount_v0.30-view1.png
BudaMount_v0.30-view1.png (6.88 KiB) Viewed 15728 times

BudaMount_v0.30-view2.png
BudaMount_v0.30-view2.png (9.38 KiB) Viewed 15728 times

BudaMount_v0.30-view3.png
BudaMount_v0.30-view3.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 15728 times

Caveats:

- I have not yet printed this, and don't believe it's ready to print just yet. I think I need to tweak the SCAD so that it's properly oriented on the bed, it's upside-down right now.
- I need to verify all the dimensions with a mic on the kit that I have in hand, and the wade's derivatives mounting dimensions. Fasteners and relative locations are based on diagrams, not actual measurements at this point. Measure twice, cut once....
- This is intended to mount a Budaschnozzle to the ORDbot carriage using a wade's derivative extruder. It can easily be modified for other hot ends like the J-head mhenson appears to be using.

Thoughts?

WB
- Everything is (or will be) parameterized, so the height, thickness of the upper plate, fastener sizes, Y axis offset will all be easily modifiable in SCAD.
- I'm using this project as a hammer to make myself learn SCAD. It shows in some places in the code. WHEN I release it, I will appreciate feedback on how to improve.
WhiteB0rd

Postby naPS » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:55 am

Anyone printed / devised a fan mount yet? I was tired of waiting for my stepper plastruder to arrive, so I assembled a Wades, and I'm getting major stringing and a lot of warping between layers on smaller prints. Apparently the common sentiment for a fix now is to use a fan. I've poked around thingiverse, but can't seem to find anything that will work all that well with the Ords and still look clean.
naPS

Postby butterfingers » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:08 am

Now that have my Hadron kit (yay!), I've been looking at the overhang issue. I was thinking - why does the extruder assembly have to be square to the carriage? Just aesthetics? If you turn the extruder about 25-30 degrees anticlockwise (looking down on it) then the hole in the extruder body lines up with one of the carriage holes, the stepper weight is over the plate, and the hot end goes through the middle of the cut-out. Just a thought. A small plate will still be needed to attach the motor side of the extruder body to the carriage, but it's nothing major to fabricate and the holes don't clash.
butterfingers

Postby Enraged » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm not sure why you guys are having issues with the extruder mounting? Aside from the height, my Wades Reloaded fit perfectly on the stock Hadron plate, just required drilling out two hole to fit M4 bolts.
Attachments
Photo 2012-04-20 2 27 50 PM.jpg
Enraged

Postby mxk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Enraged wrote:I'm not sure why you guys are having issues with the extruder mounting? Aside from the height, my Wades Reloaded fit perfectly on the stock Hadron plate, just required drilling out two hole to fit M4 bolts.

Many (most?) people have their bolt oriented the other way, not seated in the large gear, and most people who use hobbed shoulder bolts have 60mm or longer, so they protrude too far.

I printed out http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21782 and tried it on some 50mm bolts with threads all the way up - it takes a few bolts to practice and get consistently spaced cuts, but makes great biting spiked drive bolts for Wades style extruders.
mxk

Postby Enraged » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Oh ok, I wasn't clear on that.

My bolt is long, I'll be cutting it down when I do the final assembly. I like the raised platform that WhiteB0rd posted, I'll probably print something similar to raise my hot end up. I thought about flipping the plate over, but my hot end isn't long enough to do that.
Enraged

Postby Zat German » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:33 pm

I could probably fit my extruder without an adapter as well if it weren't for the longer hyena hobbed bolt I have.
Zat German

Postby orcinus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Zat German wrote:I could probably fit my extruder without an adapter as well if it weren't for the longer hyena hobbed bolt I have.

I have the exact same problem.
BTW, Zat German, i might've found someone to machine that adapter plate. I'm not 100% sure yet, tho.
orcinus

Postby IPvFletch » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:51 pm

For those who got it to fit, what size bolt and orientation, and washer count, are you using?

Not that my design is dependent on this information, just would be good to share...

Once I have finalized assembly of my design, I'll post pics... It's totally different from what you guys are proposing.. It's likely not as robust as what some of you have concocted, but I'm a n00b at this stuff, so I'm just happy if it at least works.. :)
IPvFletch

Postby Enraged » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:14 pm

I used M4 hex head bolts, they sit right into the Wades Reloaded, and then a single washer and nylock nut on the bottom. I think they are M4x15.
Enraged

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot