belt clamps

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: belt clamps

Postby fma » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:34 am

bdring wrote:I find the clamps to work very well. The strength is about where the teeth might start to fail. Are you assembling it correctly? Be sure to apply a little finger clamping of the pieces together as you tighten them.

The problem is that the belt is too thin, so the little wing prevent it to be pinched enough.

BTW, there where only 4 screws, instead of 8 in the kit...

I think your idea is great, but much more labor to machine. What fabrication process is it designed for?

It is designed for 3D printing... I'm working on a simpler version, and will try to print it tomorrow night. I will let you know if it works fine.

Thanks for your answer.
Frédéric
fma

Postby fma » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Here is the new version:
v3.png
V3

There is only 1 part; the pusher is included.
Frédéric
fma

Postby Cre8ivdsgn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Crud... bear with me I am redoing this as I figure out how to add images!

For clamp blocks on MXL belts I skip every other tooth. It makes machining easier.. Also I play with heights. A polyurethane MXL belt is 0.046" thick. I make the top of the tooth to be 0.040 high and the bottom of the tooth 0.020" high. This leaves 0.006" for compression. When I cut for the bottom of the tooth, I cut it so that I form a channel for the width of the belt.

The crazy thing with all of this is keeping the belt blocks parallel to travel. I make sure the mating blocks will square up the belt blocks to the axis of travel. Otherwise the act of tightening the screws to the belt clamp blocks causes them to skew out of square.

clamp block.jpg

Again my 2 cents.
Cre8ivdsgn

Postby bloomingtonmike » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:23 am

Bumping this thread looking for stl or scad files for solutions for clamp blocks for MXL loop belts for a hadron.

Mikie
bloomingtonmike

Postby macona » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:03 am

sdp-si also sells clamps. go to their online catalog and under belts>clamps they have plastic and metal ones. I used the plastic ones on my laser cutter. They worked fine, though I did back them up with a plate to spread the clamping force.

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail.as ... roupID=987
macona

Previous

Return to ORD Bot