belt clamps

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: belt clamps

Postby JeremyBP » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:01 am

Not only is that an awesome design, but it really showcases the power of communal design. It's cool to watch a design evolve on a forum like this one.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Postby Ferny » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Sweet design, I like it better then the two piece unit.
Here is a version for 3GT belt that I am using. I hope to cut a few out today.
You can easily modify it for the thinner MXL belt.

Ferny
Attachments
3GTFoldingBeltClamp.zip
(24.52 KiB) Downloaded 1023 times
3GTFoldingBeltClamp.jpg
Ferny

Dual belt clamps

Postby Ferny » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:42 pm

So I cut out a couple samples today to test and they work great.
After looking at them I thought why didn't I make it so both ends are captured in the same clamp.
Here's Rev. 2 of the dual 3GT belt clamp. The holes are 2.5mm so you can tap with 3mm threads. I used 11mm thick Delrin and pocketed it 6.25mm deep for my belt. Looks like I need to sand it down a little as to not interfere with the back of the carriage plate. It's not that easy to get the belt in but it sure is secure.

Ferny.
Attachments
3GTFoldingBeltClamps.jpg
Dual3GTFoldingBeltClamp.zip
(26.06 KiB) Downloaded 1001 times
Dual3GTFoldingBeltClamp.jpg
Ferny

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Mine are dual belt clamps too. I just did the test on one side to speed it up. I am only using two screws at diagonals and they are 2.5mm too.

I machined mine as a profile rather than a pocket. It goes faster and leaves the post in a tear drop shape which probably adds a little strength in the direction of the pull. This is a shot from the CAM program. The middle line is just for center line reference.

clamp_3.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mike » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Quick thought -- what about removing the pins and replacing them with small bolts?
The head of the bolt (or the nut) would help keep the belt in place, plus the bolts could be used to mount the clamps, eliminating the screws & screw holes.
mike

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:18 pm

what about removing the pins and replacing them with small bolts?

I think that was the original suggestion that led to my latest iteration. I thought it would be easier to install with the built in pins. The bolt would need to hold its position during assembly or it is tricky to install. Right now you push it in place and it holds well due to friction. You then bolt it down.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby canadianavenger » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Hybrid modification.

Increase the pin size, and drill it out. Then when installing run a bolt and washer through it to clamp the belt in place. The bolt through the eye can be one of the two mounting bolts for the block itself.
canadianavenger

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm

That is a better idea, but it would take up more room, so I would lengthen the block to get the same tooth engagement. My mating plates are already done, so I can't use that option right now.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby cybertech99 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Bart do you have the clamp dxf you use posted anywhere?
cybertech99

Loose Clamp Fix

Postby bdring » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:38 pm

There seems to be some variance in belt thickness between suppliers that allows the belt belt to be too loose. The best fix I have found so far is using a "shim". Once the belt is installed slide a thin flat shim behind one side of the belt. This will push the teeth together better. I tried three materials with good results.

I tried a slice of a business card, playing card and a junk mail post card. They all worked fine and the belt could not be pulled out. I see on another post that a thin piece of aluminum was used.

I am looking into a getting the right size loop and making a different design, but all pre-orders will ship with the existing design.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot