Alternative electronics for Ordbot

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Alternative electronics for Ordbot

Postby Enraged » Sat May 19, 2012 12:05 am

bah knew it was something simple. I didn't have a driver installed for the USB UART. Let Windows find the right one and install it, uploaded fine.

Now on to the next problem. I have what I'm told is a 100k thermistor, so I change congifuration.h to have a 100k thermistor (define it as 1), and it won't compile, but if I change it to a 200k (defined as 2) then it works, and heats up. Only problem is that I doubt that temp is the correct one due to the different thermister. I stuffed some PLA into it once it hit 185 indicated (which took about 15 seconds) and it does melt the PLA...thoughts?

Also, Roy if you are planning a future version, change that Reset jumper to a switch. I've only been playing with it for an hour and I already lost the jumper (luckily I bought a bunch awhile ago for just this reason). I'm building a remote mounted switch right now using an old motherboard wire.
Enraged

Postby royco » Mon May 21, 2012 8:03 am

@Enraged

Good to know its just the USB driver.

Im not sure why 100k wont compile on your end. It compiles aok when I tried it.

I just have the jumper plugged in on one pin only and just let it hang there.
royco

Postby Enraged » Mon May 21, 2012 4:43 pm

I don't know either, but it appears mine is a 200k, because when Pronterface says 185, I can run a test extrude and the PLA comes out fine, so it's obviously at the right temperature.
Enraged

Postby mouritsen » Tue May 22, 2012 3:33 am

Well, my board's been working great. I do have one issue though and thought I'd post something here in case anyone has come across the same thing or knows how to fix it. I hooked a small brushless fan up to the fan pins on the board, but I can't get it to turn on. I'm using Slic3r and I set the cooling options correctly I believe, but it never comes on. The fan works, because I had previously ran it off of the 12v of the power supply. I wanted slic3r to be able to control the cooling though so hooked it up to the board. Anybody else using the fan connected to the board? Any advice?

Thanks,

Steve
mouritsen

Postby royco » Wed May 23, 2012 5:29 am

@Steve

Did you change the FAN_PIN to 4(default is -1 for Motherboard 62) in the pin.h tab when configuring your firmware?
royco

Postby mouritsen » Sun May 27, 2012 3:49 am

@royco

No, should I have done that?
mouritsen

Postby mouritsen » Wed May 30, 2012 5:43 am

OK, so I changed the fan pin to 4 in the pins.h file and uploaded the firmware again. I have not been able to see if the fan worked though because it seemed to mess with the bed and hot end heating up. Actually they seem to heat up OK, but pronterface showed lower temps than the actual temps. I don't have any way to verify that, but just touching it, the bed seemed a lot hotter than 30 degrees C. The reported temp also increased much more slowly than before. So slowly in fact that I reverted back to the default fan pin setting before ever printing anything. Does any of that make sense? I didn't try preheating the bed/hot end before printing. I don't know if that would have helped. After re-uploading the firmware again and connecting pronterface to the board it immediately registered the temperature at 56 degrees C, so there was definitely some discrepancy between the actual temp and the reported temp. I still have it set to -1 and am just using my house fan for now. If I can't get this working, I guess it's not a big deal, but if there's something I can do to be able to use this feature it would be nice. Thanks for the help.
mouritsen

Postby royco » Wed May 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Mouritsen,

I tried disabling/enabling the Fan pin and it doesn't seem to affect my readings. I will try to do more testing tonight and see if I can replicate your problem.

Thanks for the info.
royco

Previous

Return to ORD Bot