Alternative electronics for Ordbot

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Alternative electronics for Ordbot

Postby royco » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:43 am

Been super busy these past few days. I will have time to update the wiki and the buy page with more info now that the last of the pre-orders went out today. I updated the wiring diagram to show the orientation of the stepper drivers.

@mhensen - thanks for answering some questions.

@Gijs - No need for special soldering equipment, a regular soldering iron will do.

@WhiteB0rd - The right angle connectors mounted on the bottom like what Luiscp did will appear cleaner compared to the top mounted. Other than that its just personal preference. The terminal block is replaced by the same headers as that of the motors, so it kinda matches the whole connector scheme. It is included in the package together with a mating connector and pins. You can still use a terminal block if you want to, like this.http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/282834-2/A98333-ND/1150135
royco

Postby butterfingers » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:12 am

Having over-analyzed controller choice beyond rational limits, I too have ordered an Azteeg X1...

:roll:

Now, where can I source some cheap[1] stepper drivers?

[1] including shipping to the Southern hemisphere.
butterfingers

Postby RSWeaverAz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:05 pm

@butterfingers

I got a spare set from http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1182
don't know what shipping would be for you,
but the cost $12.95 US seemed reasonable to me (for quantity 1-9).
FYI: I don't think they include heat sinks
I Launch Rockets, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
RSWeaverAz

Postby Enraged » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:27 pm

mixshop.com has them for $12.50, they come with heatsinks, and Canada Airmail to Australia is only $8 for 4 (they weigh next to nothing).
Enraged

Postby butterfingers » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Somewhat ironically I came across a guy here in NZ that's selling them at a decent price (maybe winding up his business?), given that local shipping will be peanuts compared to international. So, I ordered four last night. Getting pretty excited now! I'm #7 in the queue at time of writing; well, for those that have paid, anyway.
butterfingers

Postby te_gui » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:32 pm

Polulu did not supply heatsinks with my driver boards. Are they required for this application?
te_gui

Postby butterfingers » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 am

te_gui wrote:Polulu did not supply heatsinks with my driver boards. Are they required for this application?

I believe they are - they apparently run hot, and the specs I read said 1A maximum without cooling. I've seen some people using small, spiky heat sinks on them. These look like just the thing:

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2877.html
butterfingers

Postby rogue555 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:17 am

Anyone have experience with attaching heat sinks to the Pololu drivers? I got some with my RAMPS kit that included double sided tape, but am wondering what other options may exist.
rogue555

Postby butterfingers » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:42 am

rogue555 wrote:Anyone have experience with attaching heat sinks to the Pololu drivers? I got some with my RAMPS kit that included double sided tape, but am wondering what other options may exist.

Google for "Arctic Silver". It's a two part thermal adhesive, often used by PC builders to glue heat sinks to things that don't normally have heatsinks, like GPUs and memory. It's not the same thing as the thermal grease as used on CPU heatsink.
butterfingers

Postby Zat German » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:05 am

Bart used to have the copper column-like heat sinks in the Makerslide store but they have disappeared.
Zat German

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot