Alternative electronics for Ordbot

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Alternative electronics for Ordbot

Postby mouritsen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:45 am

Roy, I just ordered one of these from your site. It looks real nice and I'm excited to try it. Please note that my shipping address is different than my billing address. It should ship to the Utah address. Just making sure.

thanks again,

Steve
mouritsen

Postby Oli » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 am

[deleted]
Last edited by Oli on Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oli

Postby royco » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:06 pm

@RZWeaverAz
Here's what I used
1) #18 wire(#20 seems to work fine too) for the steppers
2) #12 for the Heated Bed(#10 can be used but you would have to cut off some wire strands so it will fit the terminal block)
3) #14-16 for the Hot End
4) #22-26 For the endstops and thermistors

@oli
Thanks. Refunded the double payment.
royco

Postby luiscp » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:29 am

I received my Azteeg last Saturday and this kit is full of stuff. The board itself is in a anti static bag to protect it. I already separated the angled and straight male connector so don't be surprised if you get them differently.

I'm planning of putting the angled connector at the bottom, I think it will make the board less cluttered once all the wire are connected. The connector does not have a hook that will prevent you from pulling the mating plug with a firm pull, and I need to drill some mounting holes for it in the Hardron. Anybody see any problem with my plan?

I just noticed now that I did not know how to orient the Pololu drivers. I had to go back at the wiki pages to look at it and I luckily oriented correctly.

Luis
luiscp

Postby crispyfry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:09 pm

I just noticed now that I did not know how to orient the Pololu drivers. I had to go back at the wiki pages to look at it and I luckily oriented correctly.

From personal experience I can tell you they REALLY don't like being plugged in backwards. If you are unsure only plug in one driver and motor and test it. That way if you're wrong you only need 1 replacement driver instead of 4.
crispyfry

Postby AndrewR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:54 pm

crispyfry wrote:

From personal experience I can tell you they REALLY don't like being plugged in backwards. If you are unsure only plug in one driver and motor and test it. That way if you're wrong you only need 1 replacement driver instead of 4.

That seems like a risky way to determine the orientation. I suggest looking at the bottom of the Pololu driver board and matching up the 1A, 2A, 1B, 2B pins with the stepper motor connections on the board. If you can't see the traces, get the multimeter out. Before plugging one in, I'd rather be 100% sure than risk ~$15 and a week of waiting.
AndrewR

Postby luiscp » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:01 pm

I already contacted royco about it and he said he will update the site to show the correct orientation of the driver. This is also one of the reason I think will be helpful with my plan of placing those angled connector at the bottom. You can clearly see the silkscreen, showing which axis is being driven by each pololu.

Luis.
luiscp

Postby Gijs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Roy, as for the diodes: I don't have any experience soldering SMD components, so to be safe: do I just solder them in the existing solder beds, without adding solder? Do you recommend any special solder equipment for that?

as for the end stops: On my ultimaker board, there are connectors for 6 end stops. how is this done on this board?

thanks,
Gijs
Gijs

Postby mhensen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi Gijs,

All current firmware actually only uses the stops as a minstop as mechanical and the maxstop as a software stop. so in the end you only need 3 hardware stops. these are you're 0,0,0 points
From their you have set the measures of the build platform and the firmware calculates the max it can travel.

Normally at boot of the board you are only supposed to do negative moves up to the min stop triggers..

At least that is my setup and therefore you don't need 6 plugs, just 3. This is also my current setup and it never failed me once!
mhensen

Postby WhiteB0rd » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:27 am

Roy, couple o' questions:

Background, I'm planning on using the 90 degree pin connectors.

What's your opinion on the virtues of mounting the connecters to the front or reverse of the board? I can't see that electrically it would make a diff, but thought it worth asking to be clear.

Second, your proto-photos showed a screw terminal for the secondary power input for the servos. Was this part (connector) on the BOM that should have shipped, or are we supposed to source it locally if we want to use it (a screw terminal there)? No worries either way, just asking...... and if we're supposed to source ourselves, can you provide a source and part # for what you used?

To Be Clear: No Complaints. This is an amazing value for the $$

WB
WhiteB0rd

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot