Alternative electronics for Ordbot

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Alternative electronics for Ordbot

Postby Enraged » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:24 pm

royco wrote:@ Enraged - Thanks! I tried ta remix the Pololu drivers to have better thermal dissipation but again its the sourcing of those A4988 thats a bit of a problem. Altho i can place an order with my rep and wait for 16 weeks to get them @ 2K quantities. Ouch!
The mating connectors are 1375820-2, 1375820-3, 1375820-4 and crimp pins 1375819-1. I may include them in the package if it doesn't cost too much(will know in a day or two).

Digikey only sells the crimp pins in bulk with that part number, but they also sell the same pin on cut tape: http://search.digikey.com/ca/en/product ... ND/2233146
Enraged

Postby royco » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Dont worry about those mating connectors and pins. I will include them in the kit.
royco

Postby bdring » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:29 pm

I ordered one. I am putting a Hadron together for PS1 Hackerspace CNC night a week from Wednesday. Should I use the RAMPS I already have or can you get me one in time?
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby royco » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:04 pm

bdring,

I will have the Panels this weekend and was thinking of having a couple assembled right away, if there are no glitches on the deliveries you would have one in time. Would a prototype work for you just for the hackerspace night instead? I could send you my last one before the weekend, its the same as the final version except for the fan pin (pics on the wiki are of the prototypes).

Roy
royco

Postby bdring » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:49 pm

@royco

I'll probably stick with the RAMPS. I need to reduce risk and go with the devil I know. The risk is on my part. I already have configs for RAMPS with Sprinter and Marlin firmware. I have limited time to get it done. Send me the final version. I'll swap it in when it makes sense.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Enraged » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:12 pm

With the "Power input: PC Power Supply or AC/DC Switching Power Supply 12-30VDC" input, can we use a 24V power supply rather than a 12V power supply? Would there be any advantage/disadvantage to running one?
Enraged

Postby royco » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 am

The Motors could take advantage of the higher voltage specially if you have a motor that has a voltage rating thats close to 12v, but by doing so you would need to have a bed and hot end resistor suitable for the higher voltage. So if you need a higher voltage just for the motors, I would suggest you use the secondary input provided for the motors and leave the main supply at around 12v.
royco

Postby mhensen » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:02 pm

I have been lucky enough to test run the X1 for a couple of weeks now. And still have it running!
I have used and soldered several types of electronics to control my rewrap for the last 2 years now, but the X1 is my favorite.

Easy layout, small footprint, already soldered and no separate Arduino. Just connect, upload the firmware, calibrate and running.
I have used it with both PLA 3mm, ABS 3mm on a .5mm nozzle and 0.35 nozzle. Running prints up to 7.5 hours in a single print and as long as 20 hours with several prints on a single day.
I had to print me a quadcopter :-) The Yoda statue took 7.5 hours and looks great..

So far I never had the urge to put external cooling, like a fan, on the board as it never got's hot. Yes, the mosfets get warm and the stepper drivers get warm, but warm ain't HOT.
I had to cool my Ramps as the mosfet for the heated bed get's quit hot.
mhensen

Postby Enraged » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:22 am

for the SDramps, this should work, correct? https://www.adafruit.com/products/254

I looked on the reprap forums and there are a few people running this one, which looks to be the same aside from the pin arrangements: http://www.gravitech.us/micaad.html

both options are cheaper than the $25-$35 assembled SDramps from ultimachine and the like.
Enraged

Postby royco » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Enradged,

Yes those will work. I will post a pin map for the adafruit and gravitech version. Altho, I am currently testing a uSD Carrier board that I made thats even cheaper than those and has the SDramps footprint.
royco

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot