Improvements for 2nd batch

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Improvements for 2nd batch

Postby bdring » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:29 pm

I have not delivered the first batch, but I already have some minor improvement ideas for the second batch. I'll use this topic to collect the ideas.

There are two places where the wires go through plates. One is for the gantry wires and the other is through the electronics plate. I have not yet had the need to remove either of these on any of my ORD Bots, but it would be a drag to pull the pins from the connectors so you could pull of either the electronics plate or gantry.

I am going to open these holes to the edge as open ended slots. The gantry one will be more keyhole shaped so it still works with the spring strain relief method.

You can see how the wires would slip out the side if I open the holes to the edge.

ord_bot_22.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Improvements for 2nd batch

Postby Enraged » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Couldn't this be solved by having connectors at the motors/limit switches?
Enraged

Postby IPvFletch » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 pm

1st batch of 115?
IPvFletch

Postby bdring » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Couldn't this be solved by having connectors at the motors/limit switches?

The connectors won't fit through the holes. You can pull pins and feed the pins. Like I said, it is probably a feature very few people will use. I have reconfigured my system dozens of times and did not need to do it. You can pull all the motors, switch extruders, etc. You just cannot pull the gantry off with motors and extruder still attached. You cannot pull the electronics plate off, but you can pull all the parts off.

There is no second batch yet,,,all parts are first batch.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Enraged » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Oh I see. Improvements can always be made, that is half the fun :)

Are you including the springs in the kits? Mcmaster refuses to ship to Canada, and I haven't found an alternate source yet.
Enraged

Postby Analias » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:28 am

Oooh... I see an opportunity to the cable lacing techniques I learned 25 years ago while working as a Telephone Inside Plant technician in the Air Force. I always loved the smell of the beeswax when it warmed up.

-Freeman
Analias

Postby perzi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Improvements regarding packaging and shipping:

1. Add some more tape to the ends of the USPS box. It seems to need the reinforcement where it's perforated. My was open in that end, so I had to check the contents before taking it home. Everything was there, but it took some time to go through the parts list as I'm unfamiliar to many of the parts.

2. Label the bag with V wheel assy and smooth idler pulley assy. Unfortunately for me, this was the first bag I openend and I had a hard time trying to figure out what was what. I couldn't find the bearing on the parts list, so I moved on and looked at some other parts of the packages. As they were all very well labeled, it was quite easy to rule out the alternatives.

3. Label the custom parts like "Gantry Carriage Bracket". I had some vague Idea which part it was when seeing it. Not having a computer with me made it a bit harder.

I would have had to do check the contents when I got home anyway, so having to check everything at the delivery was annoying at the moment.

I look forward to start assembly it as soon as possible. Those custom parts look really nice. :D
perzi

Postby Zat German » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:01 pm

There is barely any clearance between the belt and the M4 set screw for triggering endstops. What about going to M3?
Zat German

Postby Zat German » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:44 am

The holes for endstops are perfectly sized for the extruder carriage at 3mm. The holes for the endstops on the carriage plate are 2.5mm. I think they should be 3mm like the extruder carriage. I can't fit any of the Plastite-like(scavenged from disassembled Nerf gun internals) through the 2.5mm holes. The 3mm holes for these screws are great for this.

In fact, I think this might even be an error because they are exactly the same size as the holes in all the lever switches I have. Which means you couldn't actually get threads to thread into the plastic.
Zat German

Postby bdring » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:32 am

Microswitches are typically mounted with #2-56 or M2 screws. I would not use a plastite on a microswitch.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Next

Return to ORD Bot