Possible V Rail Damage??

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Possible V Rail Damage??

Postby tango282 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:01 am

Received my Hadron today!! It appears complete, but one of the smaller rails has a gouge, does anyone know if this gouge will have an affect on the printing?? I would hate to bother Bart about something that is purely cosmetic.

IMG_1782.JPG
Photo from above (unboxing and unpacking)

IMG_1790.JPG
Closeup from above ding is 5mm

IMG_1793.JPG
Perspective shot where ding is directly below tape
tango282

Re: Possible V Rail Damage??

Postby daveczrn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:19 am

im on my phone so if its not where i think it is i am sorry. But it looks like its on the vrail itself correct? If so when the wheel rides over it, it will definately cause a problem when printing.
daveczrn

Postby tango282 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:40 am

Correct. The ding is definitely on one of the V's.. It would be the outside rail of the slide opposite the single track, approx 125mm from the nearest end. :cry:
tango282

Postby bdring » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Each kit was inspected twice for v rail quality before shipping. I rejected many pieces before they were shipped. I certainly would not have shipped it that way. I think I packed them pretty well.

If you need a new one contact me. I have been covering all issue on my own dime including people who accidentally threw things out because they thought the paper was just padding.

PS: That table cloth has got to go too. The color alignment is completely unacceptable.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby tango282 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:58 pm

There is no way the damage was caused by you or your packing. The damage was caused by something penetrating the box. I agree about the tablecloth, If I had my way I would live in an old atlas silo or a warehouse with plenty of fire poles and secret passageways.. :D There is an outside chance that the piece may work. Looking at other photos it appears the top of the V is in fact not used in that the idler wheels use the track created by the V and the other surface. If that is the case it should work fine, I am just not sure if that is the case.....It is also very nice of you to compensate others for their own stupidity (luckily my trash won't be emptied until thursday :lol: )
tango282

Postby bdring » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:36 pm

The wheels don't ride on the tip they ride on the edges, so sometimes if you buff it sub flush it will work, both that looks on the outer edge of salvageable.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:41 pm

I've got no visible damage on the V rails (i do have a ding on the other side of one of the makerslide extrusions, but it's purely cosmetic), but the gantry gives of a noticeable periodic *click* when i drive the extruder carriage across it (by hand). I've checked all the individual wheels and they seem to be spinning continuously. The makerslide seems straight. And the wheels seem to be free of debris.

Any ideas for debugging?

It's not too huge a click (nothing the stepper couldn't handle), i'm just being nitpicky and curious as to what might be causing it.
orcinus

Postby IPvFletch » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:44 am

tango282 wrote:It is also very nice of you to compensate others for their own stupidity (luckily my trash won't be emptied until thursday :lol: )
I was missing an M3 x 8mm screw yesterday and was looking all over even on the floor under my workbench for it. I even double checked every screw already in the ORD bot, just to ensure I didn't put an 8mm where a 12mm should go or whatever...

Just when I was giving up, I checked the box this kit came in. I saved EVERY SINGLE baggie from all the parts I had used, so there were like 20 baggies in that box, but I kept them "just in case".. Sure enough, the missing 8mm screw was in one of the baggies still, somehow I didn't dump it "completely" before tossing that baggie into the box (which eventually would be thrown away some weeks after I'm done with this project).. :D
IPvFletch

Re: Possible V Rail Damage Fixed??

Postby tango282 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 am

So I decided to try to fix the V-Rail before asking for a replacement......what's the worse that can happen?=Gain some badly needed experience? So starting with this

IMG_1797.JPG

I ended up with this
IMG_1807.JPG
V Rail is flat on ground even though the shadow suggests otherwise

IMG_1808.JPG
Another shot

IMG_1811.JPG
Looking down on to the V section of the Rail

Both sides of the V are smooth and mostly original, the top of "V" has been sanded and polished down and is now imperceptible to touch; However a minimal wave or a dip has been created; the transition is now smooth. Is that transition the important part? Would anyone consider this fixed or usable? In my head I picture a "smooth track" being the most important part. I also freely admit that I have no idea what I am doing :shock:
tango282

Postby IPvFletch » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:45 am

If it's the underside of the X rail, it likely isn't that important. If it's the top, it might make a difference. If it's the Y or one of the Z rails, it likely won't matter so much either..
IPvFletch

Next

Return to ORD Bot