Kickstarter clone

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Kickstarter clone

Postby ecurtz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about this. I mean I guess that's open hardware for you, but it would be nice if the 3D printer community wasn't so splintered.

Buko 3D printer
ecurtz

Re: Kickstarter clone

Postby crispyfry » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:04 pm

What license is ORD bot released under? I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but if it's an attribution license then he may in violation of the licensing terms by not crediting Bart and the ORD.

EDIT:
The part drawings are released under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike. Not sure if this applies to the design as a whole. I'll leave it to the lawyers (or those more familiar with CC licenses) to decide if this is an actual violation of the licensing terms, but it sure looks like it is to me.

EDIT 2:
Nevermind, this design doesn't use makerslide for the running surfaces.
Last edited by crispyfry on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crispyfry

Postby mxk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:43 pm

It looks to me to be derived more from the Wallace/Printrbot or the Aluminum Mendel than the ORD. It is hard to tell from the photos and video, but it appears to use bushings on dual smooth rods for the X and Y axes, and some sort of t-slot follower for the Z.

Personally, I think the explosion of designs in the last couple years is a good thing. The best ideas are cross-pollinating, and we will all eventually end up with better open source designs.

I am intrigued by the use of synchromesh cable, I wonder how well that holds up and how hard it would be to print your own gears for it.
mxk

Postby bdring » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:58 pm

My license is CC - Share Alike - Attribute.

I have no problem with that design. It is different enough that is does not need to be attributed.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:52 pm

mxk wrote:I am intrigued by the use of synchromesh cable, I wonder how well that holds up and how hard it would be to print your own gears for it.

I've seen synchromesh mentioned in the reprap circles a few times and still don't get what advantages it would bring.
There's always enough space for a timing belt. And 3D printers typically use (and need) only a simple 2D, two-point distribution for all their axes.
orcinus

Postby crispyfry » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:04 pm

orcinus wrote:
mxk wrote:I am intrigued by the use of synchromesh cable, I wonder how well that holds up and how hard it would be to print your own gears for it.

I've seen synchromesh mentioned in the reprap circles a few times and still don't get what advantages it would bring.
There's always enough space for a timing belt. And 3D printers typically use (and need) only a simple 2D, two-point distribution for all their axes.

Someone who frequents the reprap irc (I forget who) had an email exchange with an engineer at SDP-SI. The result of this conversation was that the engineer recommended GT2 or equivalent belts (MXL maybe?) for what reprap does. Apparently synchromesh is not inherently anti-backlash like GT2 belts are.
crispyfry

Postby bdring » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:23 am

MXL is great, but the pulleys hard hard to print well. I think that is why they are not as popular with RepRap.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to ORD Bot