OrdBot Achievable print quality

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: OrdBot Achievable print quality

Postby Digitalmagic » Tue May 22, 2012 8:52 am

Great build! Could you tell us more about your extruder/nozzle?

Seems like a Wade flavor with makergear hot end, no?

I can't find the rounded nut you use on techpaladin.com, have a source?
I think it is a must, really better than the ACME nuts, having a longer thread length.
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Postby mhensen » Tue May 22, 2012 10:14 am

I am using both 0.5 and .35 mm J-Head Mk IV-B from HotEnds.com
The JHead is my favorite for the last 6 months, no jams and although stated to cool it with a fan I haven't seen any blockage or jamming..

the rest is a traditional wade setup.

The round thread nut was from an older shipment of techpalladin. I think you need to contact him about that specific thread nut as I got it from them ..Sorry don't have the answers myself. :-)
mhensen

Postby mouritsen » Wed May 30, 2012 6:36 am

I'm really scratching my head here. After seeing your fine prints I feel like I must be able to duplicate the same with my hadron, but so far that hasn't been the case. I think I'd be pretty close if not for this dang wobble in my prints. I can't figure out what's causing it. I upgraded to acme screws and some nicer couplings, then I tried printing nopheads couplings from here. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9622 That helped quite a bit, but It's still there to a lesser degree. I've taken my x-axis off and made sure everything is straight and that it fits correctly over the vertical pieces of makerslide. I'm taking it to my local hackerspace tomorrow night to see if the gurus there can help me out. Here are a couple of pics of my progress.

This was before the acme screws and before dismantling and double-checking my x-axis connections to the vertical makerslide.

After acme screws and checking for correct assembly. It takes patience with these craptacular cell phone pictures, but you can see that while it's better, it's still there. Hopefully I'll have better results to show after tomorrow's exorcism.
mouritsen

Postby Gijs » Wed May 30, 2012 8:25 am

I haven't got my hadron up and running yet, but I did build the frame and noticed that it is very easy to get some error in squareness of one or more of the axis and if this is the case then there is a chance that the lead screws are not 100% vertical on the motor shafts. Also the provided brackets for the motors are a bit flexible wich makes the motors hang down slightly. I was thinking to make the nuts for the lead screws floating instead of fixed, so that they can move in X and Y direction, so that the lead screws have a bit more tolerance to misalignment.
Another thing to consider is that if the fixing points of the lead screw nuts are only slightly out of alignment with the thread, it will cause additional stress.
So maybe you can take the lead screws off the motors and check again if they align properly with the motor shafts and if they stay centered while turning.
Gijs

Postby Enraged » Wed May 30, 2012 4:31 pm

I noticed that one of my threaded rods is more bent than the other, and adding in the flexibility of the motor mount, the motor actually moves up and down as the threaded rod turns.

I also keep having issues with the set screws on the couplers, they keep coming loose and the threaded rod pops out. Once I get it all up and running I need to print new couplers. Set screws are horrible, I much prefer the clamping-type couplers.
Enraged

Postby dzach » Wed May 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Indeed, overtighten set screws seem to divert the coupler from being coaxial with the motor and rod axes. I've managed to minimize this by carefully turning the threaded rod with the set screw loose, then tighten it, measure wobble and repeate the process until wobble is minimal.
dzach

Postby Enraged » Wed May 30, 2012 7:02 pm

I actually stripped the allen key hole in a set screw, so it's now replaced with a regular M3 socket head cap screw. They also tend to loosen on their own, so a drop of Locktite helps.
Enraged

Postby flurin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:39 pm

In order to test my cooling system I wanted to print something useful.
I was suprised that this is feasible:

coolingsystem.JPG

handle.JPG
flurin

Postby nargos » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:42 pm

flurin wrote:In order to test my cooling system I wanted to print something useful.
I was suprised that this is feasible:

coolingsystem.JPG

Florin, can't find this fan holder at thingiverse. Could you please give the direct link?

Many thanks
nargos
nargos

Postby flurin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:49 pm

@nargos

The fan holder consists of:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16970
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21112
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18273
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16610

Combine the pieces according to your fan size. I used an old 92x92mm fan.
flurin

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot