qu-bd Universal 3D Printer Extruder on Kickstarter

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: qu-bd Universal 3D Printer Extruder on Kickstarter

Postby automationtech » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:52 pm

orcinus wrote:
bdring wrote:I worry how these guys can make any money. They only got about $80k from the Kickstarter. It sounds like they have at least 3-4 people working there for 4-5 months with expensive machines and materials. To me, the money has got to run out fast. I don't know how many orders like mine they took though.

I think they're doing the extruders with a loss. AFAIK, their real "goal" is the combined mill + 3Dprinter bot they're designing.
So i'm guessing they're doing the qu-bd extruders at a loss to attract enough attention which they'll use to market the CNC once they start producing it.

Does any one know the phone number? I would like to call if they are going to ship. I got no response from this company.

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... controller
automationtech

Postby orcinus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Sorry, no idea how to contact them beyond the website and Kickstarter.
Speaking of - have you tried using the Kickstarter contact form?

Also, if you've preordered the extruders instead of pledging for them via Kickstarter, i imagine they're gonna want to finish shipping all the Kickstarter pledges before they move on to preorders, so delays are possible.
orcinus

Postby bdring » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:46 pm

They seem to reply pretty regularly on fabric8r

http://www.fabric8r.com/forums/forum.php
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 am

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu- ... f=activity

Of the 650+ rewards that we have had go out, there haven't been really too had many tech support issues come our way so far but here are a couple tips that may help!  Some people had mentioned that it seems like everyone is having problems.  At least as far as we know, less than 2% of the extruders that we have sent out so far have had a tech support issue and most of the issues were cleared up with a tuning and were primarily caused by a overzealous extrusions speeds.  To extrude at high speed requires a very well calibrated extruder AND printer.  I know that there are some Redditors that have had great success with the extruder and will be posting some pictures of printed stuff soon!
orcinus

Postby gazorp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:31 am

I am thinking of selling mine before I even put the first piece of filament through it. Quality is just too low for my applications. I ordered a "fully assembled" kit and it arrived missing pieces, which required me to tear it down and reassemble.

Setting up the dual extruders on the single plate is damn near impossible and blocks the necessary adjustment screws. Really a poor design...
gazorp

Postby Enraged » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:29 pm

even if it has issues, it is still ~$70 cheaper for dual extruders with all the options, compared to a single Makerbot MK7.
Enraged

Postby gazorp » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:07 pm

$70 for a big quality boost is nothing...
gazorp

Postby mikegrundvig » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Yeah, price was a very secondary consideration in my choice - I was looking for quality first. Looks like people are starting to report success with it though which I'm VERY happy to see.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby orcinus » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Like with any other product, the failures are bigger news than successes, so it's always going to seem as if things are pretty bad at first.
That said, i still don't like the plunger design and will see about modifying it when my extruders arrive.

(not in a particular hurry, i've still got a good stock of 3mm filament to use up before i switch to 1.75mm)
orcinus

Postby canadianavenger » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:14 pm

gazorp wrote:I am thinking of selling mine before I even put the first piece of filament through it. Quality is just too low for my applications. I ordered a "fully assembled" kit and it arrived missing pieces, which required me to tear it down and reassemble.

If you're thinking of selling, I'm thinking of buying. Give me a shout if you decide to unload. I didn't get in on any of the pre-orders, but wouldn't mind giving it a go.
canadianavenger

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot