qu-bd Universal 3D Printer Extruder on Kickstarter

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: qu-bd Universal 3D Printer Extruder on Kickstarter

Postby swissgnr » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Which mounting plate did you ORDers select? I was looking at the STEP files and noticed the universal plate doesn't exactly match the carriage. Someone previously mentioned we'll have to modify. It looks like the MK7 adapter is not available at the MakerSlide Store. I wonder if Bart has the time for a QU-BD specific plate? :D
swissgnr

Postby SpacedCowboy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:21 pm

I think I got the last of the MK7 adapter plates from the makerslide store (at least, there was only one in stock when I got it ), so I went for the makerbot plate :)

Simon
SpacedCowboy

Postby Liberty4Ever » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:38 pm

I selected the universal mounting plate. I'll be modifying it, or replacing it outright, but I figured it had the best chance of being useful.

A lot of people ordered QU-BD extruders for ORD Bots - way more than would be representative of the installed base of printers. I think the timing worked out so the people who are building the relatively new ORD Bot printers naturally tended to select the new QU-BD extruders. Hopefully, that'll encourage QU-BD to put a bit of effort into the universal mounting plate on behalf of the ORD Bot, and the universal mounting plate will allow anyone wanting one or two QU-BD extruders on their ORD Bot to simply attach the extruders in the predrilled holes. Hopefully.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby Enraged » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:27 pm

I got the universal. The universal has a set of holes that are within 1mm or so of the ORDbot carraige plate. So possibly enlarge the holes, or worst case you drill 2 holes. Either way, not a big deal.
Enraged

Postby Boxcar » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:04 am

I ordered a Dual MKE and a Single MKE with heat cartridges so I asked for one of each type of mount.
Boxcar

Postby Enraged » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:04 am

this might help people (not mine): http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27397

I mounted it roughly to the 3D model of the Hadron, and it looks like it will fit with a bit of massaging, with the motor mounted close to the carriage and the fan on the "front" side of the printer
Enraged

Postby Liberty4Ever » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:23 am

Enraged wrote:this might help people (not mine): http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27397

The original creator of the 3D files on Thingiverse said:
I will be working on converting this to a bowden type extruder and will publish once I have something worth sharing.

If a successful Bowden style extruder emerges based on the QU-BD extruder, I'd be very interested.

PS - Now that there's a 3D model of the QU-BD extruder, maybe I'll just print my own! :mrgreen:
Liberty4Ever

Postby gazorp » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:42 pm

When is this supposed to ship? I have been waiting forever it seems!
gazorp

Postby Liberty4Ever » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:48 pm

gazorp wrote:When is this supposed to ship? I have been waiting forever it seems!

The latest project update said that some of the anodized parts were in and the rest would be in soon (presumably this week). The anodized parts were the holdup. The in-house machining went a little bit faster than they anticipated. They mentioned bringing the anodizing in-house for future production to have better control of the scheduling and delivery. They reported that some of the shipping labels were already printed and shipping would commence very soon. It sounds like people will start receiving their extruders later this week? I hope some of the first extruders go to people with working 3D printers who are upgrading print heads, so the rest of us who are building or new to 3D printing can get good comparative feedback about the extruders as soon as possible.

Overall, I'd give QU-BD high marks for keeping us informed on their startup progress. Startups aren't easy. It's always a lot more difficult than it looks. They didn't promise early delivery, but tried hard to deliver as soon as possible, and it still looks like they'll be a week late, but that's a small matter compared to some Kickstarter startups.

Yeah, it does seem like it's been a long wait. It would have seemed even longer for me if I wasn't buried in another project.

I'm hoping for good things from the QU-BD extruder. I bought four of them, sight unseen, with no history to prove their worth. That's not like me. I'm strongly averse to vaporware, but this design looked good and the people involved in the project seemed legit, so I took the risk, partly to help a small company get off to a good start. I'm a sucker for entrepreneurs. :)
Liberty4Ever

Postby orcinus » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:24 pm

"Waiting forever"? They're a week late. Compare that to some tech Kickstarter projects that are *years* behind schedule (*cough*Hexbright*cough*).

Kickstarter isn't a web shop.
orcinus

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot