qu-bd Universal 3D Printer Extruder on Kickstarter

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: qu-bd Universal 3D Printer Extruder on Kickstarter

Postby Enraged » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:35 pm

with a 40W cartridge, what about "printing" circuits with solder?
Enraged

Postby crispyfry » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Enraged wrote:with a 40W cartridge, what about "printing" circuits with solder?

Check the RepRap wiki, it's been done in the past but results were sub-optimal. I think everyone that tries it eventually concludes that other more traditional hobbyist approaches to board making are easier.
crispyfry

Postby movlw » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 pm

bdring wrote:I have had problems in the past where a controller locked up when a heater was on. I was right there and saw that the printer had stopped so it did not damage anything. I think my problem was due to something on the USB like noise or ESD.

With number of units MakerBot sells I can imagine they had a few over temp problems or even fires.

I don't know your setup, but if you were running a Stepstruder MK7 and MAX6675 together with Marlin firmware your problem might have been this issue that also affected me and made it impossible for me to leave the printer for even a few minutes;
Print stops

...until I applied the fix and now I've printed for hours without a lockup.
read_max6675() improvements
movlw

Postby awesomenesser » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:35 pm

bdring wrote:I have had problems in the past where a controller locked up when a heater was on. I was right there and saw that the printer had stopped so it did not damage anything. I think my problem was due to something on the USB like noise or ESD.

With number of units MakerBot sells I can imagine they had a few over temp problems or even fires.

Makerbot MK7's do come with a over-temperature thermal shutdown circuit that uses a thermostat to turn off the power to the heater if it gets over a threshold. I suppose they added that circuit to mitigate fires.
awesomenesser

Postby Liberty4Ever » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:58 am

The QU-BD Kickstarter page is currently saying there are ten days remaining before the project is fully funded on July 5th, and the latest comment from Chelsea is:

***We are already producing some of the components so we have a head start...we plan to begin shipping soon after the campaign completion (first in first out)***

These extruders may arrive before the latest batch of pre-purchased kits from Automation Technologies.

I'm kinda stoked about the QU-BD extruder.

CNC manufacturing applied to an easy to assemble and low parts count extruder is a great business plan IMO, and something that 3D printing desperately needed.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/open-source-universal-3d-printer-extruder-dual-ext
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby Enraged » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:48 am

I contacted them about their universal plate hole pattern, and they have a set of holes that is centered about 1mm from the holes in the ORDbot carriage plate, so by drilling either the carriage or the universal plate, the QU-BD extruders should bolt right up.
Enraged

Postby Liberty4Ever » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Well, my debit card was charged $258 last night (two double extruders), so the extruder delivery should be forthcoming. Chelsea has been providing regular updates for their Kickstarter project. The latest news was that the funds would be frozen for three weeks, and it'd be about another week after that before QU-BD would have access to the funds. That was a bit disappointing. I'm not sure how that coincides with the projected August 2012 delivery date and Chelsea's comments that they were planning to deliver much sooner and the August date was just a worst case scenario.

In other news, The Onion just released a comical expose' of Kickstarterr as a form of internet based scam. :)

http://youtu.be/qqZ65pUQxyQ
(2:32 video)

Laugh! It's funny.
Liberty4Ever

Postby Boxcar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:15 am

mattrsch wrote:They do, but since they are a stand alone system, there is nothing preventing you from throwing one on one of these extruders. All you need is one of the thermostats: http://store.makerbot.com/mk6-thermostat.html
and their relay board: http://store.makerbot.com/safety-cutoff-switch-kit.html

It looks like the thermostat just attaches to the extruder mounting plate.

Wouldn't these thermal fuses work? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=the ... acat=12576
Boxcar

Postby Liberty4Ever » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:30 am

Boxcar wrote:Wouldn't these thermal fuses work? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=the ... acat=12576

A thermal fuse would work... once! A thermostat or thermal switch cycles on and off at a set temperature with a hysteresis band between ON and OFF. The thermal fuse is similar to an electrical fuse. It's a safety device, not a control device. When it blows, it needs to be replaced. Thermisters or thermocouples are temperature sensors. They don't interrupt the flow of power to the heating element. The sensors tell the controller what the temperature is, and the controller uses that information to control the flow of power to the heater. Using a thermal sensor (typically a thermistor on a 3D printer) allows the temperature setpoint to be changed depending on what material is being extruded. It sounds like the Makerbot thermostat is set to trip above the normal operating temperature but below the danger temperature where a fire could start. If you look at it as a one time emergency, a properly specified thermal fuse would work. If you expected intermittent control problems, a thermostat would be cheaper and less hassle in the long term... but I'd want to fix the errant control problem.
Liberty4Ever

Postby Boxcar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:19 am

Liberty4Ever wrote:
Boxcar wrote:Wouldn't these thermal fuses work? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=the ... acat=12576

A thermal fuse would work... once! A thermostat or thermal switch cycles on and off at a set temperature with a hysteresis band between ON and OFF. The thermal fuse is similar to an electrical fuse. It's a safety device, not a control device. When it blows, it needs to be replaced. Thermisters or thermocouples are temperature sensors. They don't interrupt the flow of power to the heating element. The sensors tell the controller what the temperature is, and the controller uses that information to control the flow of power to the heater. Using a thermal sensor (typically a thermistor on a 3D printer) allows the temperature setpoint to be changed depending on what material is being extruded. It sounds like the Makerbot thermostat is set to trip above the normal operating temperature but below the danger temperature where a fire could start. If you look at it as a one time emergency, a properly specified thermal fuse would work. If you expected intermittent control problems, a thermostat would be cheaper and less hassle in the long term... but I'd want to fix the errant control problem.

I understand that. A pack of 10 is like $4.00. I'm not so worried about it when I've got an eye on the printer. Once it's set up an inexpensive thermal fuse will keep an eye on the temp when I can't. I'm just throwing out an alternative. It's also a lot better than nothing:)
Last edited by Boxcar on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boxcar

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot