qu-bd Universal 3D Printer Extruder on Kickstarter

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

qu-bd Universal 3D Printer Extruder on Kickstarter

Postby mike » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:41 pm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/open-source-universal-3d-printer-extruder-dual-ext

I've been waiting for this to hit Kickstarter!
I met the qu-bd folk at the San Mateo Maker Faire and had a chance to look over their extruder. It looks like it would be a good fit on the ORD Bot.

My plan is is to use their dual setup to upgrade my ORDish bot.
mike

Re: qu-bd Universal 3D Printer Extruder on Kickstarter

Postby Enraged » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:58 am

$129 for dual extruders with heater cartridges is an insanely good deal....
Enraged

Postby WhiteB0rd » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:55 am

mike wrote:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/open-source-universal-3d-printer-extruder-dual-ext

I've been waiting for this to hit Kickstarter!
I met the qu-bd folk at the San Mateo Maker Faire and had a chance to look over their extruder. It looks like it would be a good fit on the ORD Bot.

My plan is is to use their dual setup to upgrade my ORDish bot.

Looks great. I ordered the dual kit at the ~$100 level. I can certainly assemble.

We'll need to figure out carriage mods or even a new carriage to fit the dual rig unless I'm mistaken......

WB
WhiteB0rd

Postby tylerv » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:32 pm

WhiteB0rd wrote:I ordered the dual kit at the ~$100 level.

I don't know if this matters to you or not, but the $98 level uses power resistors instead of the heater cartridges. I had to read the full-length text descriptions at the bottom of the summary to find that.

$96 has 2x heater cartridges, but no motors,
$98 has 2x power resistors, and 2x motors,
$129 has 2x heater cartridges, and 2x motors.

HTH
tylerv

Postby naPS » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:07 pm

What's the difference between the power resistors and the heater cartridges?
naPS

Postby tylerv » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:32 pm

That's a good question and I'm not 100% sure about the answer, but here's an exerpt from the FAQ section at the bottom of the Kickstarter Page:

What heating element is included?

A 6.8Ohm, 3 watt power resistor is included in EVERY kit. We have found these to be very reliable and can provide more than the required amount of heat for extrusion of ABS and PLA plastic. Additionally we have a heater cartridge available for an additional $14. It is a professional grade, 12v / 40 w heater cartridge with insulated leads. It can get to extremely high temperature, stably and safely; it also offers a 'cleaner' looking installation with the sheathed wiring. For those that want to experiment with high-temp materials, the heater cartridge upgrade is worthwhile

I haven't been able to check it against other sources, but it sounds reasonable.
tylerv

Postby Liberty4Ever » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks for the tip on the new QU-BD extruder. Good deal! 3D printing technology is at the knee of the exponential curve and developments are happening fast! It's an exciting time. I couldn't resist.

Congratulations!

You are now an official backer of Open Source Universal 3D Printer Extruder | DUAL EXTRUSION |.

The 3W resistors should keep up with the needs of ABS or PLA printing. The J Heads ship with either 3W or 5W resistors depending on what they have on hand.

Dual 40W resistors will consume 80W of power (6.7A @ 12V) if they're both on at the same time, but the duty cycle will be much lower for the 40W resistors. For power supply ratings, the average power is more important, and that's a function of the amount of plastic you're melting and the heat lost to the ambient environment, and that'll be the same for 3W or 40W. You might have problems blowing fast blow fuses with the higher peak current. Another possible problem is a PID loop tuned for the more typical 3W to 5W heaters, which could cause more temperature fluctuations with a 40W heater that overshoots the temperature set point. However, if you plan on printing very fast in a cold environment like an unheated garage and/or experimenting with high temperature filament materials (assuming that temperature doesn't melt the hot end), then you'd appreciate the added heat of the 40W cartridge heater. The 40W heater will get the print head up to temperature in record time, but you'll probably be getting the heated bed up to temperature at the same time and that's another 100W or so. The initial heating is when you'd be likely to blow fuses or stess your power supply, although the power supply starts cold too, so it'll probably be internally heating as your ORD Bot is getting up to temperature, so you might be OK. I have a big 650W power supply, so my only concern should be the current limitations of the MOSFETs on the controller.

I just spent $192 on a single MakerGear Plastruder kit, and the other option was the MakerBot MK7 kit for $229. $129 for a dual QU-BD extruder that's assembled on a platform ready to install looks like a great value.

I'm just getting started with my Hadron build (my first 3D printer) and I'm already planning ORD Bot #2. I plan to build a fast production fabrication printer that has dual extruders and electrically connect the two stepper motors so they're slaved to each other and are building two identical copies of the same part at the same time. I'll probably use one of the two thermistors and assume the other hot end needs the same heating power to do the same job. The controls won't know I'm building two parts at once, a few inches apart.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby bobt » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:00 pm

I just got in at the $129.00 level. Why spend my time when they will put it together. I am also sure that the may give it a spin just to be sure that it works mechanically. No heat just does the fiber move thru correctly and is not screwed up.

Question: Will the mount provided fit on the Hadron or not OR do I need to get my cutting torch out to fix it.

Bob Teeter
"What Box"
bobt

Postby bdring » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:41 pm

It will fit using the MK7 adapter. I may make a dual extruder carriage next week. The left extruder will not be able to all the way to the right side, but it will be close. Same for the other extruder.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:21 am

Liberty4Ever wrote:I plan to build a fast production fabrication printer that has dual extruders and electrically connect the two stepper motors so they're slaved to each other and are building two identical copies of the same part at the same time. ... The controls won't know I'm building two parts at once, a few inches apart.

You do realise your maximum part width will be limited by those same few inches, right?
orcinus

Next

Return to ORD Bot