*soon to be* ORD Bot owners, assemble!

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

*soon to be* ORD Bot owners, assemble!

Postby kwando » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:36 am

Hi All,

I thought it'd be a good idea for all of us new Ord Bot owners to discuss what we're going to be putting into the bots to get them running.

We can discuss what latest electronics we're thinking of using, post up links etc, maybe even arrange a bulk buy to save on costs.

Once the kits arrive, we can have a virtual build along as well and help each other trouble shoot problems.

I know a lot of the answers will be available through searching other build logs on the forums, but this will make it more interactive and timely I feel.

Full disclosure - I'm very new to 3D printing and after months of research the ORD bot Hadron will be my first printer.

- kwando
kwando

Re: *soon to be* ORD Bot owners, assemble!

Postby SpacedCowboy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:57 am

So, I already have a Makerbot thing-o-matic, but I'm itching for a larger print-bed. The Hadron seems ideal :)

The plan is to get the ORDuino for the electronics and the qu-bd universal extruder for the hot-end, using thermocouples for temperature measurement (hence the ORDuino). I like the feature-list on the ORDuino (LCD display, thermocouples, 5 drivers) although the Azteeg X3 looks pretty cool too (and is slightly cheaper).

Just hanging in here, waiting for things to suddenly get busy :) Oh yeah, and I've just pre-ordered the parts for the 2.x laser as well... Ok, get *really* busy :)

Simon
SpacedCowboy

Postby kwando » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 am

Haha, very nice.

I've been reading all the posts on the ORDuino and it does look very good indeed. From a totally noob perspective, what advantages does it offer over say, a RAMPS? Price wise, what's the difference also?

Are you planning on getting the ORD bot custom hotbed also made by Frob?
kwando

Postby mxk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:19 am

kwando wrote:Are you planning on getting the ORD bot custom hotbed also made by Frob?

FWIW, I just received my heated beds for Quantum and Hadron from frob, and the workmanship is excellent. I already have the MK1 and MK2 heated beds on my Mendels and there's no comparison. I'm really looking forward to getting them installed this weekend, will post some pictures when I do.
mxk

Postby SpacedCowboy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:25 am

First off - I think they'll all do the job. This isn't rocket science, the software is pretty proven right now, so its mainly features and tuning that are going to differentiate things.

That being said, I like the attention-to-detail that frob's put into the ORDuino - the separate ADC for thermistor/thermocouple readings; the fact that if one of the on-board drivers blows, you can plug in one from pololu on top of the blown on-board one; the LCD output for immediate feedback, etc. etc.

Not sure about the price difference, because he's done with the pre-production run now, so we don't know the final price yet. There apparently have been some improvements since the pre-production stages though, so I'm waiting to find out what the new spec is. I'm sure it'll be great. And yes, I'm planning on getting the Lava build-surface as well.

Simon
SpacedCowboy

Postby Medel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:33 am

Well, I have a pile of thermocouples lying around, so hopefully ORDuino and LAVA on mine with a Qu-Bd. My Prusa is going to feel a little sad soon.
Medel

Postby kwando » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:04 am

mxk wrote:
FWIW, I just received my heated beds for Quantum and Hadron from frob, and the workmanship is excellent. I already have the MK1 and MK2 heated beds on my Mendels and there's no comparison. I'm really looking forward to getting them installed this weekend, will post some pictures when I do.

Yeah the LAVA beds do look awesome indeed. I'm sure they will be very polished once mounted. PIctures would be awesome.

And SpaceCowboy, I've been doing some more reading on the qu-bd universal extruder.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu- ... r-dual-ext

The $61 variant comes with a HEATED CARTRIDGE. Can you tell me what this is and what it does?
kwando

Postby SpacedCowboy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:39 am

The heater cartridge is a higher-end heater than the power-resistor (which produces heat as a by-product of its resistance). The resistors work, but (in the case of the makerbot ones, anyway) are not specified for this sort of abuse by their manufacturer. It's possible the qu-bd power-resistors are better specced, but in general I think the heater cartridge is superior. The cartridges will also heat up faster, mainly because they suck a lot more power (~40W cf ~5W for the resistors, IIRC)

If you go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/open-source-universal-3d-printer-extruder-dual-ext/posts you can see exactly what is in each kit. The heater cartridge is the silver barrel with white wires coming out of it on the left/right of the photos.

I went whole-hog and got the $129 version :)

Simon
SpacedCowboy

Postby kwando » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:56 am

Awesome. Thanks for the answers.

Am I right in saying that the type of extrusion material (PLA or ABS) possible depends on the hot end? If that's the case, I can't seem to find anywhere whether this hot end can extrude both types of plastic.
kwando

Postby SpacedCowboy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:03 am

From their FAQ (bottom of page http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/open-source-universal-3d-printer-extruder-dual-ext)

"A 6.8Ohm, 3 watt power resistor is included in EVERY kit. We have found these to be very reliable and can provide more than the required amount of heat for extrusion of ABS and PLA plastic. Additionally we have a heater cartridge available for an additional $14. It is a professional grade, 12v / 40 w heater cartridge with insulated leads. It can get to extremely high temperature, stably and safely; it also offers a 'cleaner' looking installation with the sheathed wiring. For those that want to experiment with high-temp materials, the heater cartridge upgrade is worthwhile."

Simon.
SpacedCowboy

Next

Return to ORD Bot