*soon to be* ORD Bot owners, assemble!

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: *soon to be* ORD Bot owners, assemble!

Postby Liberty4Ever » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 pm

I wanted to use the T slots in the aluminum extrusions for wire routing, partly because it'll make a nice tidy installation, and partly because I wanted to use it for electrical isolation, but when I started planning the wiring, it's difficult to separate the motor wiring from the sensor wiring. The wiring tends to group by axis or area, and the sensor wires are almost always bundled with motor wires. For example, the wires running to the extruder are typically stepper motor wiring, heater wiring and thermistor wiring. Maybe a fan. It's difficult to separate the therrmistor wiring from the other power wiring. My suggestions:

We should probably be using 10K thermistors rather than 100K thermistors. The additional power is negligible and the 10K thermistors will be more noise tolerant.

The controller should be intelligent enough to sample temperature data when there isn't any motion on that axis, or do long term averaging to eliminate the noise from the very slow moving temperature data.

Twist the wires in pairs. Twisting the thermistor wires can do wonders for noise rejection. Twisting the motor wires in phase pairs should help a lot too. The twisted pairs take up a lot more space in wireway, so that may not be possible, but if you can do it, it's well worth the effort. I'm running a lot of wires through small cable track. Maybe I should have bought the next larger cable track for the big bundle of wires from the extruder and X axis. Even better, if I have noise problems, I might run two parallel cable tracks with power wiring in one, and sensor wiring in the other. 10-15 mm of separation can help a lot with electrical noise, and having two tracks would give me the space to twist the wire pairs.

I'm still going to use the T slots for wiring and cover the wires with the black T slot covers wherever possible, but mostly for aesthetics and tidy snag-free wiring. I can also hide the ugly offset wire splices with heat shrink tubing under the T slot covers.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby gazob » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:44 pm

I received my kit Friday afternoon, surprisingly quickly from the states to Australia. No point in a build log, its built and largely operational.

Wiring still need to be sized in places, I am running external at this point, may rebuild in the future and drill the extrusions and run internally.

Had bought earlier ramps 1.4 ultimate kit, LCD screen / controller, and heated bed from reprapdiscounts on eBay. The gear is all good, the pololus, or the ones I got are not standard, finding the right adjustment for the steppers was difficult, in the end measured from central via to gnd I found 100-120mV worked best. Heated bed and thermister is setup on 1/8 bolts and springs, may change at a future date but works okay. The smart controller ended up being easy enough to setup in marlin, a few worrying moments till I realised I needed to adjust the pot on the back to view the LCD characters.

Thinking of ordering these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-x-Hall-End ... 2320b1ee6d from reprapdiscounts as well, should be able to adjust end stops to proximity, hope they are accurate enough.

Waiting on the qu-bd extruder, but even when it turns up will have to wait for my birthday, so for the next couple of months will be finishing all the half finished bits.

Thinking one of my first prints will be an enclosure for the smart controller that attaches to the end cap in the top of the right hand upright maker slide and down into the tslots.

Anyway enough rambling from me, happy with how its gone together up to this point

Gaz
gazob

Postby Boxcar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:31 am

gazob wrote:I received my kit Friday afternoon, surprisingly quickly from the states to Australia. No point in a build log, its built and largely operational.

Wiring still need to be sized in places, I am running external at this point, may rebuild in the future and drill the extrusions and run internally.

Had bought earlier ramps 1.4 ultimate kit, LCD screen / controller, and heated bed from reprapdiscounts on eBay. The gear is all good, the pololus, or the ones I got are not standard, finding the right adjustment for the steppers was difficult, in the end measured from central via to gnd I found 100-120mV worked best. Heated bed and thermister is setup on 1/8 bolts and springs, may change at a future date but works okay. The smart controller ended up being easy enough to setup in marlin, a few worrying moments till I realised I needed to adjust the pot on the back to view the LCD characters.

Thinking of ordering these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-x-Hall-End ... 2320b1ee6d from reprapdiscounts as well, should be able to adjust end stops to proximity, hope they are accurate enough.

Waiting on the qu-bd extruder, but even when it turns up will have to wait for my birthday, so for the next couple of months will be finishing all the half finished bits.

Thinking one of my first prints will be an enclosure for the smart controller that attaches to the end cap in the top of the right hand upright maker slide and down into the tslots.

Anyway enough rambling from me, happy with how its gone together up to this point

Gaz

I have the same Ramps kit from the same company. They list them as A4988 Stepper Motor Drivers. I figured they were just clones. Please let me know when you have them figured out.

I just started on my ORD Bot this afternoon. I drilled the extrusions and grabbed a few more tools that I needed. I'm really hoping to have it done by the end of the weekend minus the extruders. It seems like almost every new ORD Bot owner here is patiently waiting on QU-BD's MBEs.
Boxcar

Postby gazob » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:46 am

Boxcar wrote:
gazob wrote:I received my kit Friday afternoon, surprisingly quickly from the states to Australia. No point in a build log, its built and largely operational.

Gaz

I have the same Ramps kit from the same company. They list them as A4988 Stepper Motor Drivers. I figured they were just clones. Please let me know when you have them figured out.

I just started on my ORD Bot this afternoon. I drilled the extrusions and grabbed a few more tools that I needed. I'm really hoping to have it done by the end of the weekend minus the extruders. It seems like almost every new ORD Bot owner here is patiently waiting on QU-BD's MBEs.

The reprapdiscount pololu copies use 000 sense resitors and as such where the wiki for pololus tells you to measure 400mV from the central via to ground to get them in the ball park for correct operation with nema17 steppers, these ones i set to between 100 and 120mV, 3 of them ended up being faulty, whether i killed them by trying to get them working, or whether they were doa I dont know, but reprapdiscount was quick to offer replacements and is also throwing in some halls effect endstops. most of us experience faulty and or failed electronics, its how the supplier deals with it that marks a "good" supplier. In this case I cant fault reprapdiscount and would recommend to any.

GaZ
gazob

Postby Boxcar » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:26 am

gazob wrote:
Boxcar wrote:

Gaz

The reprapdiscount pololu copies use 000 sense resitors and as such where the wiki for pololus tells you to measure 400mV from the central via to ground to get them in the ball park for correct operation with nema17 steppers, these ones i set to between 100 and 120mV, 3 of them ended up being faulty, whether i killed them by trying to get them working, or whether they were doa I dont know, but reprapdiscount was quick to offer replacements and is also throwing in some halls effect endstops. most of us experience faulty and or failed electronics, its how the supplier deals with it that marks a "good" supplier. In this case I cant fault reprapdiscount and would recommend to any.

GaZ

Thank you. My experience with them has been great so far. I'm glad to see they're as helpful after the sale.
Boxcar

Previous

Return to ORD Bot