Orcinus' Build Log (was: Thermistor insanity)

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Orcinus' Build Log (was: Thermistor insanity)

Postby orcinus » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Printing it right now :lol:

But i think i'll run out of filament before it finishes. I miscalculated.
Will this do for now?

orcinus

Postby orcinus » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Arrrgh. Support unstuck from the bed for the umpteenth time now.
Slic3r desperately needs a better support printing option, this is getting ridiculous.
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:27 pm

The falcon turned out... less than well :lol:

Realising i'm going to run out of filament, i've stopped the print and restarted with 0 infill (2 perimeters).
That was on the solid model, instead of printing the shell version of the model from the start. That resulted in a ton of gaps, especially on the top of the head. The filament started going weird near the top again (i'm starting to believe it has something to do with temperature or something - both times it was fine until around the time i opened the door to the balcony... it's 30-40 deg C outside, mind you, so that might not be it).

The supports broke on both sides, creating a mess i had to cut off with pliers. Interestingly, the front support column re-appeared about half way up - after it broke, the head started depositing a nest of loose strings on the falcon's chest, that eventually built up to a platform sturdy enough for it to start printing the proper column. Pretty bizarre, but i've noticed it happening before. I even saw the supports start bifurcating and eventually reforming after breaking. Funny stuff, like watching some bizarre crystalline animal evolve.
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Printing the falcon (over 1:30) revealed one week point in my bot.
The Z driver overheats eventually.

After it finished printing, both Z steppers stalled and started twitching in the middle of the head retract (my ending gcode in Slic3r is set to turn the fan up to max, move the head to X50, Y100, switch to relative mode and raise the head 50mm up, then return to absolute).
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Printed this little guy out for my girlfriend:

Getting some strange, random banding with this filament.
I'm guessing it's either the temperature or i should re-adjust the extruder steps/mm.

But all of that will have to wait, because i'm going on vacation (meaning moving about 500km south for about 2-3 weeks) and don't plan on lugging the bot with me (i'm afraid the trip would wreck it). So, i guess i'll be switching to ACME rods and .35mm nozzle, adding LED lighting and RAMPS cooler after vacation :)

Edit: bumped up the global and local contrast in the above photos by a lot to make the banding visible - it's not that visible in reality.
orcinus

Postby dzach » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Have a good time there south, come back with more good stuff and photos from your prints with Hadron.

Here is my take on the same lion, actually two of them:

2012-07-30-193327.jpg
Big one printed at 160mm/s speed, 0.33mm layers, 300% scaled.
Small one @80mm/s, 0.15mm layers, 100% scale.
Compare the size with the 1€ cent.

Sliced with Skeinforge, printed on cold bed with ABS juice (the stuff that shows on the cheap white painter's tape). No raft or support was used. For the big one I added a small cylinder to support the tail, which I cut off at the end.
dzach

Postby Medel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Fierce! Have fun on your trip and, yeah, I haven't wanted to move a printer yet. ORDs at least have handles? :D
Medel

Postby orcinus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:14 pm

My lion was 180% i think, so somewhere between those two :)
Dzach, was that PLA or ABS?

Thanks, will try to have fun (teleworking vacation with parents and a grandparent, so the jury is still out on that).
And yeah, ORD Bots have a handle, but it's a sharp one :lol:
orcinus

Postby Liberty4Ever » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:29 pm

orcinus wrote:And yeah, ORD Bots have a handle, but it's a sharp one :lol:

You can print an ergonomic handle cover for your ORD Bot. :)

When it comes to portability, I think the ORD bot design is MUCH more likely to survive than the designs that consist of spindly threaded rods in printed plastic joints that are hand tweaked to square them, any of the rat's nest of wires designs, or laser cut pieces of lightweight plywood parts that are T nutted together. Portability issues aside, printing ABS in someone else's house is another matter. You'd be the unwelcome guest in a hurry.

Have a good working vacation!
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby dzach » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:39 pm

That was ABS. I find it easier to calibrate the printer with ABS as it seems more forgiving than PLA and with a higher range of usable temperatures.
It does smell very plastic though, especially if extruded at high temperatures.
dzach

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot