Azteeg X3 3D Printer Controller

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Azteeg X3 3D Printer Controller

Postby royco » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:13 am

Hi,

Just a heads up for those interested or have been following the X3. The webpage is now up. I will be adding more info/pics/videos in the coming days.

I urge you to take a look at the available bundle options(pretty cool stuff, I think).

http://www.panucatt.com

Thanks.

Roy

royco

Re: Azteeg X3 3D Printer Controller

Postby SpacedCowboy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Ordered the works, thank you :)

Simon
SpacedCowboy

Postby dzach » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 pm

This looks nice and compact.
Where can one find technical information about the SureStep 82A Stepper Drivers and the 12-24V Boost Power Supply Shield?
dzach

Postby Enraged » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Looks good!

Any plans for a ready-made LCD screen and rotary to plug into the X1 or X3? I'd like to know more about the drivers too.
Enraged

Postby Nick Brawne » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:42 pm

I assumed that the LCD display that was listed on his site was compatible http://www.panucatt.com/product_p/lcd-162wb-fstn.htm. Sure hope it is as I paid for it last night when I bought my controller board.
Nick Brawne

Postby royco » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 pm

@Nick
That LCD is just a bare 16x2 LCD. It would work but the more common size is the 20x4 LCD. Let me know if you still want it.

@dzach, Enraged
The Surestep SS82A is similar to the pololus except I used the Allegro A4982 instead of the A4988/83. I used manufacturer recommended 4 layer board, 2oz cu, instead of the 2 layer board pololu was using to aid in heat dissipation. Moved parts to the bottom to have a clean top layer for a larger heatsink if needed. Also, added protection for the Logic supply. Protection for the Motor supply is already on the X3 board.
Here's the spec sheet for the A4982 http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products ... A4982.aspx

The 12-24v boost power supply is 3 amp switching circuit, nothing fancy. Still being tweaked to get the most out of it.

And yes I am developing an LCD panel. Got the proto boards the other day. Very excited about this kick arse panel. Will give more info as it gets built up.

Thanks

Roy
royco

Postby gazob » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 am

Great looking board, some really nice bundle options, sort of wish I had of waited....
gazob

Postby Liberty4Ever » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:26 am

gazob wrote:Great looking board, some really nice bundle options, sort of wish I had of waited....

That's always the way when you're on the technological bleeding edge. I'm right there with you. We're neighbors!

I ordered the X3 today with five stepper drivers (I need four but ordered one more as a spare), and I ordered the heated build platform. I have the 4X20 backlit LCDs (From Poland, With EBay) and the rotary encoder with switch (From Minnesota, With Digi-Key). The 12V@30A switching power supply should be here any day (From China, With EBay). I'm still waiting to order some 3D printer parts From Russia, With Love.

Other than those items, I'm pre-buying the big ticket items and waiting for them to be developed/built/shipped - Hadron kit from Automation Technologies, extruders from QU-BD on Kickstarter, and Azteeg X3 controller & HBP from RoyCo.

All that stuff should be here in August. My wife just had surgery on her broken ankle and I'm nursie for the weekend, so maybe I'll finish up Hadron #1 before all of the new stuff gets here for Hadron #2. I need to test some of the optional accessories I'm trying from McMaster-Carr on Hadron #1 before ordering them for Hadron #2.

The Azteeg X3 does look nice. All of these new controllers, heated build platforms, and better 3D printer mechanical designs are a symptom of free market economics in the rapidly moving field of 3D printing. Lots of innovation and active development. The development and life cycle of any technology adheres to an S-curve, and 3D printing is in the initial knee of that curve where things happen fast. Exciting times, living on the bleeding edge.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby dachef » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi all. Just wanted to post and introduce myself! I have bought a ORDbot Hadron kit from Automation Tech, QU-BD (single) extruder, and most recently the Azteeg X3 pretty much full works (heated bed etc.). Im sure there a couple more out there like me but I am looking forward to getting everything in and starting to build my (first) 3d printer.

Question for anyone else out there who has bought similar equipment: what else will I be needing as far as electronics? I have a PC power supply, but is there specific wiring that is not included with the Azteeg X3 that I need to order?
dachef

Postby Enraged » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:50 pm

You will need wire for your motors and limit switches, as well as wire to connect your heated bed, extruder heater and thermsistor, extruder motor, and any fans you may want to use. You can either get a few rolls of wire, or use 4 conducter wire (which is basically 4 wires inside a sheath, makes wiring the motors a bit easier). I don't think the kit comes with limit switches, so you will want to get those. Also, if you are ordering parts, you might want to look at alternatives for the Z axis couplers, as many people get a wobble from either the couplers or the Z threaded rod, which can effect your print quality.

oh, and filament. I skipped ABS completely and only use 1.75mm PLA, and I must suggest buying from a vendor that puts the filament on a reel/spool, it makes one less thing to worry about when setting up your printer for the first time.
Enraged

Next

Return to ORD Bot