Azteeg X3 3D Printer Controller

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Azteeg X3 3D Printer Controller

Postby flickerfly » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks for reporting back. I'm just rethinking my wiring so I'll run an extra line up there.
flickerfly

Postby fma » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:32 pm

I made a test using this FTDI-TTL cable:

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/ftdi-usb-to ... -5v-6.html

The USB is only located inside the plug, so the cable does not act as an antenna!

And it works fine too :P

Don't know yet which solution I will finally use: RS232 or FTDI USB cable... In the first case, I plan to make a special USB cable, with only power lines, to power up the RS232-TTL converter...
Frédéric
fma

Postby fma » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Conclusion: USB is not a reliable solution in harsh envirronnement, and should not be used in such cases. In fact, USB should not be used at all, except for keyboard and mices!!!
Frédéric
fma

Using standby-power on ATX supply?

Postby flickerfly » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:00 am

Has anyone tried to use the 5V standby power to power the Azteeg X3? My objective is to be able to load a print onto the microSD card and trigger the print and be able to remove the USB cable without interrupting the printer. The print job should have M80 and M81 among the first and last commands of the print respectively to manage the state of the 12V.

My PSU says it has 2.5A of standby power so that should be sufficient to power the arduino for communication before turning on the 12V rail. I'm just not sure where to hook it in. I'm guessing that I should remove the Jumper on the input select entirely and then use 5V and GND on the J2 or the ICSP headers.

If I'm doing this, I also guess I should not connect the 5V from USB I'm using for the FTDI friend, but should keep ground connected so I don't push power back into the computer. Can I assume when I repair the FTDI onboard having the input select jumper disconnected will handle keeping 5V off the USB for the rest of the board? If I'm reading the schematics correctly, the input select is J13 and that seems to be total disconnect of the FTDI, but I'm not clear if that also impacts the power for the Atmega.

Any clear mistakes or confirmation in my understanding?
flickerfly

Postby fma » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:35 am

Yes, your analysis is correct. I power up the board from J2 with a external power supply, and I also plan to use standby power...
Frédéric
fma

Postby fma » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Some precisions...

The JP13 header allow you to power up VCC from the USB cable or from the main power input (20A). Without the jumper, the logic chips (FTDI, ATMega...) won't be powered up. So, you can inject VCC (5V regulated!) from the standby PS line. doing this, all internal logic chips will be powered up, including the FTDI chip.

So, you don't need to remove the 5V from your USB cable, as it is disconnected (JP13 jumper removed). On the other hand, I don't know what happen when you remove the usb cable: if the DTR line fall down, the printer will reset...
Frédéric
fma

Postby flickerfly » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks!

So it may be safer to leave J13 connected to USB power.
flickerfly

Postby fma » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:36 pm

But in this case you can't power up the printer from the PS standby line!

You can make the test: put the JP13 jumper on INT side (which will power up the printer from the main power supply); send your file to the sd card; start the print and remove the usb cable... If it does not reset the print, you can remove the JP13 jumper and connect the PS standby line to either J2 (VCC pin) or JP13 (center pin).
Frédéric
fma

Postby flickerfly » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Oh, right. :-) I'll have to play with that once I replace the FTDI I broke on the board.
flickerfly

Postby fma » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:18 am

I have a new question about this board...

I'm in the process of testing a vinyl cutter on my ORD Bot. For that, I designed a special support:

vinyl_cutter_support.png

This allows me 2 important things: having a precise weight on the cutter (~100g) juste using gravity, and being able to move it up and down much faster than with the Z axis, using a servo.

So, this is what I'm working on; I compiled the latest release of Repetier firmware:

http://www.repetier.com/firmware/v091

and tried to use the M340 command to drive the servo. I used the D11 output, which drives a FET: 0 -> high impedance, 1 -> grounded. So, I also put a pullup resistor between the output and Vcc. But it does not work; whatever the timing I set, the servo wants to go below its minimum (or maximum, don't know) position, and can't be driven.

Is it because the signal is inverted? As it is a PWM, it should not be a problem, but I'm not very familiar with servo pulses signal.

Any help welcome.

PS: to generate paths, I will use inkcut inkscape plugin:

http://inkcut.sourceforge.net

this plugin generates HPGL code, which is very simple; only 2 commands are really used: PUX,Y, PDX,Y (pen up move, pen down move). Then, a simple python script will generate gcode, using the M340 command to move up/down the cutter.
Frédéric
fma

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot