Group Buy Hadron Build and Some Design Questions

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Group Buy Hadron Build and Some Design Questions

Postby enmity » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:47 am

do we have any more information on the group buy?
enmity

Postby mikegrundvig » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:51 am

I'm sorry, I realized I'd not posted an update. The laser cutting company was a week late in their shipment to us - we should be getting them on Friday this week. Sorry for the delay!

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby dibloff » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi. If someone would have an extra set of laser cut parts I'm for it. Please let me know.
dibloff

Postby enmity » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:14 pm

its cool, just making sure its still in the queue. Thanks for the information
enmity

Postby mikegrundvig » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:48 am

I've not seen them yet but I was told parts arrived today :)

I'll post an update when I get to see them.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby mikegrundvig » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:15 am

Just saw the parts - all of 47 lbs for the sets! The look good. They are nice and rigid due to the thickness. Everything I tested fit nicely so I'm glad there too. They pack down small and should ship nicely. We will start shipping them early next week. I think they will fit in the "flat price" USPS boxes to that's come good news there. I'll be sending out invoices for shipping and such in the next few days. Thanks much for the patience with the laser cutter delays. Thanks!

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby geoffs » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:50 am

I'm not part of the group purchase but if it's of any interest, my Hadron shipped in a USPS Large Flat Rate Box (11.85x3.125x24.0625) with room to spare.
This was the mechanical components only.

A quick design question: Are the nut blocks on the groups buy made of delrin or some other plastic (ABS?) with a threaded metal insert? Mine had the latter type and as they seem a little loose, I'm concerned about backlash in the Z axis. Still assembling (and waiting for the electronics)

Regards
Geoff
geoffs

Postby dibloff » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi everyone. Looks like I’m getting a set from the factory fresh 1/8” laser cut parts too. I reviewed the parts list and the model and found out that the BHCSM506S (M5x6mm) screws will be too short with the thicker plate. The original PL calls for 11 of them but the hadron really needs 14 (the author did not assemble all of them to their right location) – see my illustration below for the missing ones. I was always a big fan of communizing, so I’ll communize the M5x6mm with the M5x8 mm.

BHCSM506S.jpg

The next screw is the BHCSM508S which is M5x8mm. The parts list calls for 20 pieces but I think the assembly need 24 pieces – again see my screenshots below. I’ll order a total of 14+24=38 pieces (probably 5 more for spares).

BHCSM508S.jpg

The next one is BHCSM512S – M5x12mm. PL calls for 14 of them, but I found 8 only. If you look the 3D model closely you can see that BHCSM510S is also used on 6 places. I think the designer merged these two together hence the 14 pieces.

BHCSM512S.jpg

BHCSM510S.jpg

The last screw is the BHCSM530S (M5x30). PL calls for 12 pieces. I counted 16 of them.

BHCSM530S.jpg

PL calls for 16 M5 nuts - HNM5NL. The model has 16 of them too.

HNM5NL.jpg

I’ll not order the SHSSM416S. I’ll use M5 screws instead, this way I don’t have to order M4 T-slot nuts.

I’ll order the bolts from http://www.boltdepot.com Some of the lengths are not available in standard finish/grade for those I’ll order stainless.
Here are some prices from their website:
M3x4 mm – $0.12
M5x8 mm - $0.11
These are stainless. Right. Cause when I watch the machine running my saliva runs and it’s too corrosive 

The webpage sells spacers too. I’m not really keen using plastic spacers as the plastic has a tendency to creep. The assortment they’ve got does not cover the Hadron needs though.
I’ve ordered 6 different bolts various sizes and at least 5 more than the PL calls for. The total cost was 16.85 plus $10 for shipping.
dibloff

Postby AndrewR » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:01 pm

dibloff wrote:Hi everyone. Looks like I’m getting a set from the factory fresh 1/8” laser cut parts too. I reviewed the parts list and the model and found out that the BHCSM506S (M5x6mm) screws will be too short with the thicker plate. The original PL calls for 11 of them but the hadron really needs 14 (the author did not assemble all of them to their right location) – see my illustration below for the missing ones. I was always a big fan of communizing, so I’ll communize the M5x6mm with the M5x8 mm.

Be careful, those 'missing' fasteners are at locations where there is no slot in the MakerSlide. If you intend to use them at those locations, you'll have to drill and tap the aluminum.
AndrewR

Postby dibloff » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 am

Andrew R. You right. I double checked there is really no slot there in the makerslide. Thanks for the info. A.
dibloff

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot