Group Buy Hadron Build and Some Design Questions

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Group Buy Hadron Build and Some Design Questions

Postby mikegrundvig » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:46 am

Hi all; thanks for everyone who has joined us in the group buy - we are placing the official order tomorrow afternoon after I double check everything. This post is just to show the minor changes off of Bart's latest design. First, I added mounting holes for the Azteeg controller. I've marked the holes with red arrows in the picture. They are located down a bit because I wanted to offset the wires from the hole in the handle so fingers don't catch in them while carrying things. Next, I've made the bottom of the extruder carriage 5mm longer and the top 2mm longer. This is all it appears to take to get a good 0.25" bend in there with enough clearance all around. Finally, I mirrored the two holes on one edge to match the holes on the other edge as well.

-Mike

P.S. Sorry orcinus: the group decided to stick with the original carriage design rather than extending it like in my earlier picture. I'm not sure if we will regret that one or not.
Attachments
handle-update.JPG
Capture.JPG
mikegrundvig

Postby loopingz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 am

Is it still possible to join the group buy? Where will the shipping come from?
loopingz

Postby orcinus » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:26 pm

mikegrundvig wrote:P.S. Sorry orcinus: the group decided to stick with the original carriage design rather than extending it like in my earlier picture. I'm not sure if we will regret that one or not.

Not a biggy as far as i'm concerned. I still have my adapter plate and i plan on switching to 1.75mm extruder at some point anyway :)
Was just a suggestion to help people who might be getting already printed stock Wades' from elsewhere, as i did (back when i was buying the ORD Bot "ingredients", they were easier to find already packed in kits with all the necessary hardware, than the variants like Greg's hinged).

PS: Is that SolidWorks?
orcinus

Postby mikegrundvig » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:44 am

PS: Is that SolidWorks?
Yup, that's Solid Works 2011.

OK everyone, the group buy for laser cut parts is CLOSED! We just placed the order with the fabricator a few minutes ago. Thanks much for everyone who jumped onto it in time. I'll provide updates as soon as I have them from the fabricator but I think we are looking at shipping things to people within about 3 weeks (10 days lead time on parts starting tomorrow or Thursday, then shipping to Kansas City and then we re-ship ASAP to everyone).

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby orcinus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:43 am

mikegrundvig wrote:Yup, that's Solid Works 2011.

Hah. I could've just sent you the SW file instead of the PDF.
Not that it matters now anyway :lol:
orcinus

Postby mikegrundvig » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Just an update for everyone. The machine shop is working on the order. They told us they would ship it "early next week." We will turn them around pretty quickly so people could start seeing their parts by the end of next week and into the first week of October. We will invoice for the shipping cost as soon as we see how large and heavy a single set of plates happens to be.
mikegrundvig

Postby neocalm » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:37 am

That's great news, Mike, thanks! Any interest on a mild anodize of those? These could be the Red Hadrons. :)

I am looking at the remainder of the BOM. Is anyone up for a group buy to round out the rest of the mechanicals:

1) The Misumi, McMaster Carr, and Stock Drive parts?
2) 3/8" Black Delrin Sheet for routing the Nut Block and Belt Clamp (would like to try routing the latest HarveyMoon design). Not sure on the best source.. Amazon?
3) 1/4" Black HDPE Sheet for routing the Bot Foot.
4) The M8 / ACME rods (Still not sure what's the best bang for the buck after reading the "Z-Axis ACME vs. Threaded Rod" thread.)
neocalm

Postby mikegrundvig » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Heh, you are welcome to get them anodized but right now we are planning on having a build night full of painting and powder coating.

1) As for the Misumi/McMaster Carr and Stock Drive stuff: Misumi is the tough one as we are buying the parts long and re-shipping them. We also don't really want to count out nuts and bolts for everyone from the packs so I'm not sure we will actually be doing that as a group or not. Sorry :(

2) The Delrin we already have as one of our members has a good relationship with a plastic supplier. McMaster carries it IIRC quite cheap. You can buy acetal as it's just a generic name for Delrin (which is the Dow Chemicals trademark IIRC)

3) The parts we are cutting via the laser already includes the bot feet - we cut them from 1/8" aluminum. Not positive how well they will work, but I think they might be good.

4) As for the rods, personally I'd rather do ACME proper but I'm starting with M8 to see how it works first.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby neocalm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Makes sense, Mike. Thanks!

Are there a lot of others in the Group Buy outside of Kansas City? If there's a lot of folks and/or interest I can get and split up stock parts.

Also.. curious what the others in the Group Buy are going for with regards to the extruder? I am trying to cancel my QU-BD order...
neocalm

Postby mikegrundvig » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Most of the frames were local but we did get a handful from this forum. I want to say it was 5 or so from here.

We were all planning on using the QU-BD extruder but I'm the only one that ordered so we'll see how that goes. Unfortunately, our sister club did a Prusa build and they are all having extruder problems with a variety of different extruders. That seems to be one of the big things that burns everyone. I'd really hoped the QU-BD extruder would have been a great solution.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot