Dibloff's Build Log

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Painting Parts

Postby bdring » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:43 pm

I would not recommend painting them. It can change the hole sizes and the eccentric nuts can tear the paint when rotating. The ShapeOko router used to use paint, but they switched away from it.

You can actually anodize at home using kits or total DIY methods.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2966
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Dibloff's Build Log

Postby dibloff » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:44 pm

The Azteeg has also arrived. Wow. I'm still puzzled over crowd sourcing. I can't still beleive it's working. I mean it's a custom made device for the 3D printing community only, and looks professional and industrially potent, and I still can buy it for a bit over a grand. Amazing.
The hot bed is beyond my imagination. I'ts sturdy looking, well made. I'll start to wire the thing up.

DSC01285.JPG
dibloff
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Dibloff's Build Log

Postby dibloff » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:50 pm

It was a great day yesterday. I did some milling. the flying chips, the burning cutting oil and the high pitch squeak of the mill brought life back to me :)
Here you can see the assymetric brackets. they'll fit the makerslide (used for the bottom rail)
I also machined down the lead screw nuts and made two belt brackets. I decided to make them from aluminum. I threaded the holes on one side only.

DSC01296.JPG
dibloff
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Dibloff's Build Log

Postby dibloff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:45 am

Almost halfway into the build, just want to salute to the original designer of this BOT. I now realized that changing just a couple minor things will have a huge impact. Details are below:
I decide to use socket cap bolts instead of socket button bolts. I had bad experience with button head bolts previously. But I did not replace the bolts in the 3D model. Here is the result:
DSC01305.JPG

As you can see a small change like this will have a bad effect on the build. I needed to re-drill the holes on the brackets to make the bolt heads fit.
As far as painting the aluminum parts, sure the bolts will take some paint off, but where the paint stays it looks nice :)
dibloff
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Dibloff's Build Log

Postby dibloff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:51 am

Another small detail… I ordered the NEMA 17 stepper motors from the inventables. Here is how it looks on their webpage:
inventables_nema_17_motor.jpg

When I assemble it into the bot I ran into a tiny little issue:
DSC01301.JPG

As you can see the motor features shaft on both ends. One is probably the drive end and the other is for encoder. This was not visible on the inventables webpage, and honestly I have not even unwrapped the motors until I assembled them. I finally ended up cutting off the non-drive end of the shaft.
dibloff
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Dibloff's Build Log

Postby bdring » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:28 pm

I can't believe you cut the shafts. I would have drilled a hole in the table :P
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2966
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Dibloff's Build Log

Postby enmity » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm

did you paint the aluminum cut pieces?
enmity
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Dibloff's Build Log

Postby dibloff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:53 pm

enmity wrote:did you paint the aluminum cut pieces?


Sure. Two coats of primer and two coats of blue.
dibloff
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Dibloff's Build Log

Postby dzach » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:45 pm

The original Z axis motor mounting plates look thinner than yours. I had been wondering why Bart went into the trouble of using one more material, instead of using the same hardened aluminum plate everywhere. Only after I built the bot I realized that the reason was reduction of Z wobble.

The only difficulty I had with the OrdBot, which, I think, also exists with all of the RepRap designs using similar Z axis arrangement, is aligning the Z axes with the motor axes. Having the mounting plates thinner helps dissipate misalignments right at the motor by allowing the mounting plate to flex slightly. Thicker plates do not allow that and misalignments may show up in prints. This is a different issue than bent threaded rods, for which lead screws and nuts may be a solution.
dzach
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 am
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: Dibloff's Build Log

Postby zkaplan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi dibloff,

Zach from Inventables here. I am sorry that our pictures didn't clearly show the shaft on the other side of the motor. The shaft length was indicated in the technical specs but that is no excuse because after reading your story and looking at the pictures I think this is clearly an error on our part. I have asked our photographer to take another picture that clearly shows the shaft coming out of the back.

I'd like to offer you a $50 gift certificate to our store as a way of saying sorry for your hassle. To redeem it please send an email to help at inventables dot com and we'll hook you up.

Sorry about that.

Regards,
Zach
zkaplan
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:36 am

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests