Lets see your ORD Bot prints!

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Lets see your ORD Bot prints!

Postby orcinus » Wed May 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Printed this bad boy out today:

This "pale gold" PLA from colorFabb is horribly unphotogenic.
Also, it tends to get fairly liquid and causes a lot of stringing and blobs, at least at the recommended 210 deg C. I need to give it a go at 190.

I found a bubble in the filament remains i've pulled out of the nozzle while cleaning and it missed a part of one layer at some point during the print. I'm thinking either the bubbles are a manufacture defect, or caused by moisture, which wouldn't be too surprising, considering they send the rolls out unsealed, in a cardboard box, with no desiccants (granted, cardboard is a fairly good desiccant, but still)...

Edit: Forgot to mention - that's printed at 61% of the nominal size, layer height 0.16ish.
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Wed May 22, 2013 4:32 pm

As a side note, i seem to have been getting more corner "shadowing" or "echoes" on flat surfaces recently.
Since i haven't really changed anything in the mechanics and everything is as tight as it was, any ideas on how to dampen those (besides the obvious - slowing down)?

Should i try messing with jerk?
orcinus

Postby bwevans » Wed May 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Looks freaking fantastic. I just ordered some ColorFabb but havent had a chance to try it yet. If you are just starting to get ringing on sharp corners it might be that your belts have loosened over time. Try tightening them up a bit and see how it goes.
bwevans

Postby orcinus » Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 pm

I tightened them a few weeks ago. But good point, i'll try retightening.
I've got some GT2 belts and pulleys sitting in my drawer, might as well switch to that one of these days...
orcinus

Postby bwevans » Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Yeah Ive had better luck with that on GT2 than MXL... ran MXL on my Mosaic for months and then made the switch and its so much better.
bwevans

Postby orcinus » Wed May 22, 2013 11:53 pm

I did ask about it once, hypothesizing it'd give better results, but no one seemed to have any insight on using GT2 vs. MXL:
http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic ... 65&start=0

I've ordered my GT2 set not long after that post, but never took the time to install it :)
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Thu May 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Some clearer photos of the print:

And a bonus print - i use the Art Institute of Chicago lion as a test for new filaments.
I've knocked down the temp for the colorFabb pale gold PLA to 190 and the bed to 50. The results are much MUCH better:

Note the missing layer in the right side view. It's not actually missing completely, it's sputtery (dots) instead of a continuous line. And it doesn't go all the way around. That's the issue with either moisture or bubbles i was mentioning. Still haven't tried drying the filament out yet.
orcinus

Postby rickmellor » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:16 am

I finished building my Hadron tonight. This is the first print off the thing ... default slic3r configuration. I spent a fair amount of time calibrating before I attempted to print anything. Still a bit of tuning to do, but this thing is looking really good!

20130607_000240.jpg
rickmellor

Postby rickmellor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:51 am

Continuing to tweak and refine this thing ... it's coming along pretty well. This one is printed with .1mm layers. I think I might need a smaller nozzle, but they do mesh and work. They just don't seat fully.

DSC_9368.jpg

Orcinus, I'm curious about how you went about printing that mech. Doesn't seem like you printed it in one shot, or did you? Did you use supports?
rickmellor

Postby orcinus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Nice gears!

It wasn't printed in one go, no, but it was printed with supports nonetheless (for the torso only).
KISSlicer's support works rather well with low layer heights.
At 0.1mm, it separates relatively cleanly (with some mild exacto cleanup).
At 0.15-0.16 it starts to get a bit more messy with more exacto action required. Luckily, the torso needed very little support.

Edit: the lion was printed in one go and with plenty of support (the whole area under the belly, tail and head, basically).
orcinus

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot