Endstop behaviour in Pronterface + some build thoughts

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Endstop behaviour in Pronterface + some build thoughts

Postby rocketwiz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 am

Ahhhhhhh - thank you for pointing that out systemguy - my mistake was assuming that the end stops actually were meant to function as end stops as well as home switches (which of course they don't need to as soft limits are defined in firmware).

There's still about a mm or so of travel on the microswitch lever even after it's actuated so a bit of margin exists to allow the extruder head to be repositioned precisely via G92 after it hits the stop, per fma's suggestion . This should eliminate the need to precisely position the end stop set screw.
rocketwiz

Re: Endstop behaviour in Pronterface + some build thoughts

Postby rocketwiz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 am

My mechanical testing hit a small snag recently. One of the threaded rods refused to play nice with the carriage plate. Turns out that the plate (the one which has the x motor attached) wasn't parallel to the gantry and the rod needed to run at a slight angle to the nut block. Despite using a flex coupler there was a fair bit of noise from the rod/nut interface.

After 3 days of disassembly and reassembly I eventually shimmed one of the gantry uprights in order for all the v-wheels to make contact and for the x axis makerslide to sit correctly on the carriage plates. If things aren't properly lined up with the bolts loosely attached, the plates will not sit correctly when the eccentric nuts are adjusted and everything tightened down. My small assembly tip: clamps like these http://www.irwin.com.au/tools/browse/clamps/hand-clamps are fantastic to hold the x axis up during assembly.
rocketwiz

Previous

Return to ORD Bot