Automation Technologies

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Automation Technologies

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 pm

As far as I know Automation Technologies is out of ORD Bots. John is considering running another batch. These would include a few improvements like stiffer Z motor mounts and flexible couplers and QU-BD patterns. Do you think he could sell another 100 pieces? He wants feedback.

There are other sources for ORD Bots now which makes it more difficult. His kits were very good quality. He used all of my sources and I made several of the parts.. He had a few issues on the first few kits he sold, some of them were the fault of my BOM. Plus...he supports buildlog.net with a voluntary royalty.

What do you think?
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Automation Technologies

Postby SystemsGuy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:28 pm

If you had asked a week ago, I'd have said I would have personally taken 5 kits - but since no one had parts, I ended up making my own. Now, I think that the Ordbot boat may have just sailed - if RepRapDiscount is going to do what they claim, and supply in quantity, I think it's going to be hard for ATI or anyone else to compete.
SystemsGuy

Re: Automation Technologies

Postby alpha » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:28 am

First - from all the 3D printers I'm looking at I believe the ORD Bot is the best!
I did support the Makerslide on Kickstarter (very little, I would do more today) and I have a ShapeOko (I guess I'm biased).

I don't think it's to late for Automation Technologies, there price is still better and I'm willing to support local businesses. I'm not sure about the projected sales numbers, maybe 100 is a little high for this time (but I don't know the numbers, however right after Christmas most people are short on money). I'm not sure how other businesses handle this, but I don't like this kickstarter like pre sales type order systems (I do like Kickstarter, but only on there web page). I can still life with a pre order system as long as it's not like a lottery. I did put some money down on Inventables Ord Bot but it didn't go through.

Btw the Chines New Year will start soon, so it's an advantage for US based companies right now (as long as they have all the part here) :D

Anyway I'm looking at buying a 3D printer right now. If I can save some money and get topnotch equipment I'm willing to spend some time on assembly. I think the ORD Bot would be a good printer for me. So now you just need to find 99 other people ;)
alpha

Return to ORD Bot