j-head from China

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

j-head from China

Postby gyrogearloose » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 pm

I received and installed my J-head extruder hotend from China and I am very impressed. Worked straight off and has not missed a beat since. I printed with both ABS and PLA with runs up to 8 hours. I paid $56 for it from ebay. It comes up to temp superfast as well.
I noticed more and more3D printer accessories and consumables being offered from China. The QU-BD guys missed a golden opportunity to show the Chinese how it is done. Instead, they released a half baked, untested product onto the market with great fanfare
gyrogearloose

Re: j-head from China

Postby SystemsGuy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:12 am

I paid about the same and got one from Brian. Last one I got from China about 8 months ago was a pretty shabby copy - glad you ended up with a good one.
SystemsGuy

Postby gyrogearloose » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:22 am

SystemsGuy wrote:I paid about the same and got one from Brian. Last one I got from China about 8 months ago was a pretty shabby copy - glad you ended up with a good one.

Our Chinese friends are fast learners and not all copies are the same. I am ordering from China because delivery is faster to Australia. Otherwise I would order from the US as well.
gyrogearloose

Postby SystemsGuy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 am

'tis very true - look at the latest ordbot bits! :-)

gyrogearloose wrote:
SystemsGuy wrote:I paid about the same and got one from Brian. Last one I got from China about 8 months ago was a pretty shabby copy - glad you ended up with a good one.

Our Chinese friends are fast learners and not all copies are the same. I am ordering from China because delivery is faster to Australia. Otherwise I would order from the US as well.
SystemsGuy

Postby flurin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:57 pm

I'd like to order filament from China but the shipping cost are very high (78$).
flurin

Postby reprapdiscount » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:04 pm

gyrogearloose wrote:I received and installed my J-head extruder hotend from China and I am very impressed. Worked straight off and has not missed a beat since. I printed with both ABS and PLA with runs up to 8 hours. I paid $56 for it from ebay. It comes up to temp superfast as well.
I noticed more and more3D printer accessories and consumables being offered from China. The QU-BD guys missed a golden opportunity to show the Chinese how it is done. Instead, they released a half baked, untested product onto the market with great fanfare

i am using for my machines only hot ends from hot-ends.com i import them to china because they are reliable and good and i also can support brain which is a part of the reprap community. he has in fact big delivery times, but it is worth to wait.

the china hot ends, type j-head, the aluminum part broke very fast, you will find it out after some time. i got 2-3 pcs for test, all of them were broken after some times.

my recommendation, use the ones from www.hot-ends.com ( i am not affiliated to him, i just tried different ones and thats the one i think is okay) my 2 cents
http://forum.reprapdiscount.com/forums/oss/

Best Regards,
reprapdiscount

Contacts:

google talk: reprapdiscount
whatsapp: +8613267235555 (preferable)
wechat: reprapdiscount (preferable)
QQ: reprapdiscount
phone: +8613267235555
reprapdiscount

Postby gyrogearloose » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:41 pm

the china hot ends, type j-head, the aluminum part broke very fast, you will find it out after some time. i got 2-3 pcs for test, all of them were broken after some times.

my recommendation, use the ones from http://www.hot-ends.com ( i am not affiliated to him, i just tried different ones and thats the one i think is okay) my 2 cents[/quote]

The one I got does not have any aluminium parts on it. The heaterblock and nozzle is made in one piece out of copper (They claim it is copper, but it looks more like brass).
gyrogearloose

Postby orcinus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:35 pm

orcinus

Postby gyrogearloose » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 am

The one they tested is entirely different from the one I got. As I said, the heaterblock/nozzle is made from brass and not from aluminium, and the teflon sleeve is fixed by a hollow setscrew as it is supposed to. As I said, the Chinese clones are not all the same. You will find that within days of a new product copy, other manufacturers will copy the clone and often leave off vital details in order to cut corners and undercut their competitors.
gyrogearloose

Postby orcinus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:37 am

I know they're not the same (or, rather, i guessed as much). It's not that particular review that's the key part, it's the differences described.
A lot of relatively small details that combine to produce an inferior product.

Also of interest is the comment under the article (linking to another review of a different chinese J-head).

Not directly related, but interesting how the J-head author considers a longer nozzle orifice a bad thing (due to higher extrusion pressures). Longer orifices are actually harder to drill (or, rather, drill well) and have one big advantage over short ones - much more laminar flow at the nozzle exit. It's true the pressures are higher (they also result in more ooze, i think), but the extrusion is supposed to be much cleaner, straighter and even.
orcinus

Next

Return to ORD Bot