Play in the Z lift plate

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Play in the Z lift plate

Postby LeonS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 pm

I am really liking the Z lift plate adapters. Thanks Bart for making these available!

I like the fact that I can exchange the HBP springs in the back two screws for fixed spacers. I am also hoping that I can rig up a sensor to them so I can try automatic bed leveling and Z origin calculations.

I have a question about play in the arm that fits into the T slots. I hear a clicking as the Z axis is lifted and then lowered to the next part. I attribute the clicking to the fact that the stabilizing levers is a little loose in the T slots on each side. Is this a problem? I was thinking about wrapping the lever tips with a couple of layers of kapton tape to stake out some of the slack.

Has anyone had this experience?
LeonS

Do the math

Postby bdring » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:04 pm

I wanted the arm to freely slide in the slot. If it hangs up, it could tilt and destroy the reason for the part. I decided about 0.25mm per side of nominal clearance would work. If there is slop then the Z is affected...but how much? I then did the math before I designed to see if that would be a problem. Here are the numbers and the results.

Lead Screw Pitch 1.25mm/turn
Distance from rod to slot: about 44mm
Slop distance: 0.25*2 = 0.5mm
Slop angle: 0.65 degrees
Affect to Z: about 0.0022mm
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Play in the Z lift plate

Postby flurin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05 am

LeonS wrote:I hear a clicking as the Z axis is lifted and then lowered to the next part. I attribute the clicking to the fact that the stabilizing levers is a little loose in the T slots on each side.

I like the click-sound! Every click "tells" me that the next layer is started. That's music to my ears :)
Last edited by flurin on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flurin

Postby bdring » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Does anyone use z hopping on their ORD Bot?

I use it on the delta because the Z is so fast, but I have not used it on the ORD Bot yet.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby SystemsGuy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:20 am

I've used it on my delta as well, but not religiously, and not on the Cartesians. I do use the "Z-Settle" on the Cartesian, not sure it makes a big difference, been using it since the Prusa days...

bdring wrote:Does anyone use z hopping on their ORD Bot?

I use it on the delta because the Z is so fast, but I have not used it on the ORD Bot yet.
SystemsGuy

Return to ORD Bot